chevron_left chevron_right
Login Register invert_colors photo_library
Stay updated and chat with others! - Join the Discord!
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

"The Onion of Windows" filter_list
Author
(03-14-2015, 09:55 AM)Eclipse Wrote: Tor? That's literally the most secure thing on OP's list. Disable JS and you're 10x better off than a VPN.

Other than you've no specific control over your nodes, it's been proven to not be completely infallible, you don't know what else your traffic is associated with, with some ISPs, it's enough to have them drop you, etc.
free @pvnk

[+] 1 user Likes Satan's post

RE: "The Onion of Windows" #12
(03-14-2015, 01:13 PM)Six Wrote: Other than you've no specific control over your nodes, it's been proven to not be completely infallible, you don't know what else your traffic is associated with, with some ISPs, it's enough to have them drop you, etc.

Meh. I've never had a problem with my ISP here in Britain. Plus, it's a good thing when vulnerabilities are found in Tor: it allows for them to be patched. I still consider Tor to be a lot more trustworthy and secure than a VPN, of course using both at the same time is better.

Also if you're using Tor, you'll remain anonymous, but let's say that hypothetically, someone else using the same Tor exit relay as you views jailbait and they trace it back to you (emphasis on hypothetically since it's almost impossible). You'd have plausible deniability and a perfect alibi.

I mean, the only risky thing that you could do with Tor is to host an exit relay.

RE: "The Onion of Windows" #13
(03-14-2015, 10:36 AM)Equinox Wrote: Just write over the entire disk, OS and all. You're not thinking past Windows. I don't think you got the idea, actually. The idea is to write over ALL data, not just whatever files you have. Data meaning the operating system, files that you may have, etc..

Im only focusing on windows because of its weaknesses (and the OP seems to care about that anyways). I always suggest something Linux based (the lighter the better is the rule of thumb) if you want true anonymity.

But yeah, I agree, if you are in any environment, you do need to write over any data that is stored on the OS, User files, etc. My only point of contention though is finding a OS where that is done automatically or easily performed by the user(which is what I can do on Fedora), rather than having to go through the caches and clearing it out yourself (windows) or like you suggested (and it may be the only perfect solution, idk), writing over the disk drive (which in most cases, involves reformatting the hard drive and reinstalling the OS). You can do it and ive done it before, but ive found alternatives depending on the OS.

(03-14-2015, 01:13 PM)Six Wrote: Other than you've no specific control over your nodes, it's been proven to not be completely infallible, you don't know what else your traffic is associated with, with some ISPs, it's enough to have them drop you, etc.

There is some truth to that. Apparently, I was able to see that some analytics software on ISP servers have been able to isolate TOR traffic from regular ones. They havent been able to deanonymize the users (I personally think they never will due to the encryption) but they will be able to associate your traffic with the nodes and whatever crap people are doing on them if you are being targeted (again, that is a big IF).
(This post was last modified: 03-14-2015, 06:26 PM by azRAel_.)
"Making use of human weaknesses in intelligence work is a logical matter. It keeps coming up, and of course you try to look at all the aspects that interest you in a human being." - Markus Wolf

RE: "The Onion of Windows" #14
(03-14-2015, 06:21 PM)azRAel1388 Wrote: There is some truth to that. Apparently, I was able to see that some analytics software on ISP servers have been able to isolate TOR traffic from regular ones. They havent been able to deanonymize the users (I personally think they never will due to the encryption) but they will be able to associate your traffic with the nodes and whatever crap people are doing on them if you are being targeted (again, that is a big IF).

Ahem? Obfuscated bridges?

RE: "The Onion of Windows" #15
(03-14-2015, 01:41 PM)Eclipse Wrote: Meh. I've never had a problem with my ISP here in Britain. Plus, it's a good thing when vulnerabilities are found in Tor: it allows for them to be patched. I still consider Tor to be a lot more trustworthy and secure than a VPN, of course using both at the same time is better.

Also if you're using Tor, you'll remain anonymous, but let's say that hypothetically, someone else using the same Tor exit relay as you views jailbait and they trace it back to you (emphasis on hypothetically since it's almost impossible). You'd have plausible deniability and a perfect alibi.

I mean, the only risky thing that you could do with Tor is to host an exit relay.

One thing to keep in mind too with your example is that a lot of that shit is hosted on a .onion site. .onion sites do not have an exit node, since you're not exiting TOR. Sites like Silk Road 1 and 2 were usually popped because of bad Op Sec practices.

TOR is a lot more than drug sales and gross pr0n though. There's a plenty legitimate use for TOR, especially for those who are outspoken in fascist countries.

The first time I played around on TOR, it was like using the internet for the first time again; with the speed to match that experience, lol.
---
Click here to get started with Linux!

If I helped you, please +rep me, apparently we've started over on Rep and I'd like to break 100 again...

Inori Wrote: got clickbaited by roger

RE: "The Onion of Windows" #16
(03-14-2015, 08:52 PM)Eclipse Wrote: Ahem? Obfuscated bridges?

It makes it harder, but not impossible for people like say the NSA or AT&T. Again, the fault comes from the fact that Tor is a Low-Latency network. In order to maintain the quality but ensure the anonymity, tor tries to preserve the arrival characteristics from the exit nodes, which can then be deduced with Traffic Confirmation (which Tor admits, it cannot protect against). The technique only works if you have a large enough traffic and can detect this pattern of packet transfer by comparing it to all the others. Again, you have to be large enough and it cannot deanonymize the user, but it shows that Tor's activities can be isolated, if the right people are doing it.
"Making use of human weaknesses in intelligence work is a logical matter. It keeps coming up, and of course you try to look at all the aspects that interest you in a human being." - Markus Wolf

RE: "The Onion of Windows" #17
I appreciate ur opinions,what's ur suggest?
I'm not use windows,i use open source but i have friends that use and ask me for this

(03-14-2015, 02:15 PM)podarok957 Wrote: Look site Wink
http://goo.gl/OCw6C5

what's that? o.o
(This post was last modified: 03-14-2015, 11:12 PM by morizaki.)
.:: NoOb AleRt ::. ::. DoN't BlaMe .::

RE: "The Onion of Windows" #18
My suggestion to you is to use a lightweight os like Fedora or tailsos. Windows and Mac have too many processes running in the back for you to operate safely without Equinox method of constantly reformatting your OS. Remember, the rule of thumb, the lighter the better.

RE: "The Onion of Windows" #19
Fedora is lightweight?
---
Click here to get started with Linux!

If I helped you, please +rep me, apparently we've started over on Rep and I'd like to break 100 again...

Inori Wrote: got clickbaited by roger

RE: "The Onion of Windows" #20
(03-15-2015, 12:42 AM)roger_smith Wrote: Fedora is lightweight?

There is a lightweight version of fedora called lxde which is what I use on my laptop. Not the standard distribution. Sorry for not clarifying...

Although Yes, not only fedora but a Mercedes Benz is more lightweight than windows. I've screwed around with the hidden caches and files and it's monstrous OS Especially the pre-7 versions, which had all the drivers pre loaded.