chevron_left chevron_right
Login Register invert_colors photo_library
Stay updated and chat with others! - Join the Discord!
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

"The Onion of Windows" filter_list
Author
(03-15-2015, 02:21 AM)azRAel1388 Wrote: There is a lightweight version of fedora called lxde which is what I use on my laptop. Not the standard distribution. Sorry for not clarifying...

Although Yes, not only fedora but a Mercedes Benz is more lightweight than windows. I've screwed around with the hidden caches and files and it's monstrous OS Especially the pre-7 versions, which had all the drivers pre loaded.

LXDE is a Desktop Environment and is not exclusive to Fedora.
---
Click here to get started with Linux!

If I helped you, please +rep me, apparently we've started over on Rep and I'd like to break 100 again...

Inori Wrote: got clickbaited by roger

RE: "The Onion of Windows" #22
(03-15-2015, 02:59 AM)roger_smith Wrote: LXDE is a Desktop Environment and is not exclusive to Fedora.

Well I can only speak for fedora cause that's all I use lxde with.
"Making use of human weaknesses in intelligence work is a logical matter. It keeps coming up, and of course you try to look at all the aspects that interest you in a human being." - Markus Wolf

RE: "The Onion of Windows" #23
(03-15-2015, 03:18 AM)azRAel1388 Wrote: Well I can only speak for fedora cause that's all I use lxde with.

That's fine. I'm just letting you know it's not exclusive to Fedora. You can use it on Arch, Ubuntu, Cent, Mint, etc, etc, etc. Fedora as a distro is not really *that* lightweight.
---
Click here to get started with Linux!

If I helped you, please +rep me, apparently we've started over on Rep and I'd like to break 100 again...

Inori Wrote: got clickbaited by roger

[+] 1 user Likes roger_smith's post

RE: "The Onion of Windows" #24
(03-15-2015, 04:20 AM)roger_smith Wrote: That's fine. I'm just letting you know it's not exclusive to Fedora. You can use it on Arch, Ubuntu, Cent, Mint, etc, etc, etc. Fedora as a distro is not really *that* lightweight.

I understand, thanks for letting me know! And yea, Its probably not that lightweight, but after dealing with Windows Server 2003....... hahaha. But thanks for being so amiable!!!!
"Making use of human weaknesses in intelligence work is a logical matter. It keeps coming up, and of course you try to look at all the aspects that interest you in a human being." - Markus Wolf

RE: "The Onion of Windows" #25
(03-14-2015, 06:21 PM)azRAel1388 Wrote: Im only focusing on windows because of its weaknesses (and the OP seems to care about that anyways). I always suggest something Linux based (the lighter the better is the rule of thumb) if you want true anonymity.

But yeah, I agree, if you are in any environment, you do need to write over any data that is stored on the OS, User files, etc. My only point of contention though is finding a OS where that is done automatically or easily performed by the user(which is what I can do on Fedora), rather than having to go through the caches and clearing it out yourself (windows) or like you suggested (and it may be the only perfect solution, idk), writing over the disk drive (which in most cases, involves reformatting the hard drive and reinstalling the OS). You can do it and ive done it before, but ive found alternatives depending on the OS.

Still not quite there, but closer; Windows is always a hellish realm in terms of security. I mean use something other than Windows to write over it.

RE: "The Onion of Windows" #26
(03-15-2015, 12:34 AM)azRAel1388 Wrote: My suggestion to you is to use a lightweight os like Fedora or tailsos. Windows and Mac have too many processes running in the back for you to operate safely without Equinox method of constantly reformatting your OS. Remember, the rule of thumb, the lighter the better.

hum...u push TAILS.Let me ask u,if i run TAILS in a only OS in my computer,i'm completly safe?
.:: NoOb AleRt ::. ::. DoN't BlaMe .::

RE: "The Onion of Windows" #27
(03-15-2015, 02:16 PM)morizaki Wrote: hum...u push TAILS.Let me ask u,if i run TAILS in a only OS in my computer,i'm completly safe?
This guy's autistic.
Tails is a live lightweight OS that forces everything through Tor and encrypts shit.

The only way you're safe is by unplugging your ethernet cable.

[+] 2 users Like Eclipse's post

RE: "The Onion of Windows" #28
Want to be safe?Then stop Using OS's that boot from Hardisks, get something like Puppylinux, once done, just remove the CD or pendrive and it's like you never used the computer

RE: "The Onion of Windows" #29
As with any OS, It's only as secure as how the end-user configures It.

I can secure Windows natively by simply defining a few GPOs, MMC snap-Ins, Increase the cipher strength encryption algorithm on BitLocker and/or EFS, deny "write" access to the OS/System Drive (and other partitions where applicable), Implement Software Restriction Policies to deny file "types" and the list goes on.

Simply stated, the Windows platform can be secured natively to almost bullet-proof It from any Intrusions.
[Image: AD83g1A.png]