chevron_left chevron_right
Login Register invert_colors photo_library

Stay updated and chat with others! - Join the Discord!
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Reverting To Old Logo? filter_list
Author
(08-12-2019, 07:37 AM)Oni Wrote: Wouldn't look as good with this theme, since this theme is flat. Might replicate the old theme later on, though that costs time/money.

I agree, it wouldn't quite fit with this current theme.

I also hadn't given much thought to the amount of time/effort/resources that go into something like this.
(This post was last modified: 08-12-2019, 12:23 PM by dark_net.)

RE: Reverting To Old Logo? #12
(08-12-2019, 07:37 AM)Oni Wrote: Wouldn't look as good with this theme, since this theme is flat. Might replicate the old theme later on, though that costs time/money.

Would you want me to turn what the OP requested into a flat logo? I could do it pretty quickly. I just need the font.
[Image: tumblr_n4fsswcwZa1sbhzgao1_250.gif]

"Crack it open, throw it in a pan and let it cook." ~ Filthy Franku

RE: Reverting To Old Logo? #13
(08-12-2019, 05:42 PM)Drako Wrote:

Would you want me to turn what the OP requested into a flat logo? I could do it pretty quickly. I just need the font.

The main issue isn't making a flat version, as I could do that. The issue is integrating it with the current theme. The way our color changer works, does not work well with glows or anything but solid colors. It's only visible with some of our icons, but that should give you a good idea of the implications.

If people just want a logo with the site name, that can be arranged. All of these are things we considered when making the current theme. However, because these changes would take more effort than apparent, they aren't scheduled to happen in the immediate future.
[Image: 7ajmN5P.jpg]

Steam: Oni | SL (Add)

RE: Reverting To Old Logo? #14
(08-15-2019, 07:07 PM)Oni Wrote:
(08-12-2019, 05:42 PM)Drako Wrote:

The main issue isn't making a flat version, as I could do that. The issue is integrating it with the current theme. The way our color changer works, does not work well with glows or anything but solid colors. It's only visible with some of our icons, but that should give you a good idea of the implications.

If people just want a logo with the site name, that can be arranged. All of these are things we considered when making the current theme. However, because these changes would take more effort than apparent, they aren't scheduled to happen in the immediate future.

Yeah I never thought of that. And it's pretty easy to add text to a logo. I'll just leave it up to whatever you want to do.
[Image: tumblr_n4fsswcwZa1sbhzgao1_250.gif]

"Crack it open, throw it in a pan and let it cook." ~ Filthy Franku

RE: Reverting To Old Logo? #15
(08-15-2019, 07:21 PM)Drako Wrote:
(08-15-2019, 07:07 PM)Oni Wrote:
(08-12-2019, 05:42 PM)Drako Wrote: Would you want me to turn what the OP requested into a flat logo? I could do it pretty quickly. I just need the font.

Yeah I never thought of that. And it's pretty easy to add text to a logo. I'll just leave it up to whatever you want to do.

In my experience of running things, there's always drawbacks for every theme. The current theme was made in response to the growing trend of minimalism, which was a couple years after the forum started. A lot of people got bored of the 3D/glow effects and I decided a flat theme would look more professional and go in our favor. That said, I totally understand the nostalgia and I have contacted a good friend to possibly replicate the old theme. We could have glow effects and 3D like we used to, but then the color changer would be limited to a set number of colors like it was before. Each logo is designed for its specific theme and in this case it's especially so.

Because a glow uses multiple colors and transparency, it's very difficult (if even possible?) to integrate with the current color changer. The old color changer had 3 settings, with 3 sets of images (red, green, or blue). On the old theme the setting you picked, would change the image set displayed. Our current color changer only uses one set of images, utilizing PHP to recolor the set based on a chosen hexcode. The drawback is that the current color changer can only detect and change one color (and not several, like a glow would have). I hope I explained things well enough, as this stuff was discussed when making the current theme.

(08-12-2019, 12:23 PM)dark_net Wrote:

I agree, it wouldn't quite fit with this current theme.

I also hadn't given much thought to the amount of time/effort/resources that go into something like this.

I've been called lazy and dismissive when it comes to suggestions, but I always have my reasons. In cases like this, it comes down to practicality and what's possible.
[Image: 7ajmN5P.jpg]

Steam: Oni | SL (Add)

[+] 2 users Like Oni's post