chevron_left chevron_right
Login Register invert_colors photo_library

Stay updated and chat with others! - Join the Discord!

What would you upgrade filter_list
Author
Hello everyone, I have a PC for quite some time now, I want to hear your opinions on what to upgrade.

My specs:

- Intel i3-4160 3.6Ghz
- GTX 750 Ti
- 4GB RAM
-120Gb SSD
- 650W power supply

So I will probably buy 2x8GB of ram and 480GB/1TB SSD. What would you upgrade?

RE: What would you upgrade #2
Quote:I want to hear your opinions on what to upgrade.
It depends on your computing environment.

My tasks are very demanding, so I'm running a quad core CPU, SSD (obviously), GTX 1070 and 32 GB of Ram.
What's your usage?
[Image: AD83g1A.png]

[+] 1 user Likes mothered's post

RE: What would you upgrade #3
I feel like you could benefit from a seconday hard drive (even if none ssd) for storage. But keep windows on the ssd.

Then I would upgrade that ram. It really depends what you are doing but 4gb of ram is tiny. Your problem is if you upgrade cpu , you might need a new motherboard. If you get a new motherboard you might need different ram lol.

Stick your current items onto a build at
https://pcpartpicker.com/

and see what compatible with your current setup.

[+] 1 user Likes Darkbyte's post

RE: What would you upgrade #4
(03-24-2020, 11:13 AM)Darkbyte Wrote: I feel like you could benefit from a seconday hard drive (even if none ssd) for storage. But keep windows on the ssd.

Then I would upgrade that ram. It really depends what you are doing but 4gb of ram is tiny. Your problem is if you upgrade cpu , you might need a new motherboard. If you get a new motherboard you might need different ram lol.

Stick your current items onto a build at
https://pcpartpicker.com/

and see what compatible with your current setup.

[Image: MQEjbr3]

I have this specs. Do I need to buy DDR3 RAM or DDR4?

RE: What would you upgrade #5
Unless replacing you memory completely you should buy the same ram you already have. I would open up the pc and take a look at the existing brand , get the serial number off it and find that exact one.
Your motherboard does not support ddr4 and only supports upto 16gb of ram , this should be fine for a casual user. Heck I only have 16gb ddr4 3200 myself and I do alot on this pc.

Open up your pc and look do you have one stick of 4gb ram? (probably) then you will benefit alot from another 4gb. You might however have 2X2gb sticks because your motherboard has dual channel mode. If this is the case , both your ram slots are being used (your motherboard only has two if I found the right one) so you might not even have free slots. Because of this It might be worth selling the old stick(s) and getting some ddr3 1600 ram. This is the best ram your motherboard supports anything higher than 1600 will be throttled back down to 1600. Dual channel mode will also activate if you get two 8gb sticks.

One thing though , your motherboard is at 120°C in that screenshot. This is way to high especially if you are not doing alot on there. I would look at cleaning out fans of dust , see if any are broken and if not defiantly look at getting some better cooling going on. You will see massive improvements from just getting temperature down some parts may even bottleneck themselves to keep temperature down.

P.S I was into building computers about 12 years ago. Its a ever changing world that I have not kept up with but the guys over at https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/ thrive off this stuff and will give you alot better advice than I can. This is just what I would do Smile.
(This post was last modified: 03-24-2020, 05:01 PM by Darkbyte.)

RE: What would you upgrade #6
(03-24-2020, 04:51 PM)Darkbyte Wrote: Unless replacing you memory completely you should buy the same ram you already have. I would open up the pc and take a look at the existing brand  , get the serial number off it and find that exact one.
Your motherboard does not support ddr4 and only supports upto 16gb of ram , this should be fine for a casual user.  Heck I only have 16gb ddr4 3200 myself and I do alot on this pc.

Open up your pc and look do you have one stick of 4gb ram? (probably) then you will benefit alot from another 4gb.  You might however have 2X2gb sticks because your motherboard has dual channel mode. If this is the case , both your ram slots are being used (your motherboard only has two if I found the right one)  so you might not even have free slots. Because of this It might be worth selling the old stick(s) and getting some ddr3 1600 ram. This is the best ram your motherboard supports anything higher than 1600 will be throttled back down to 1600. Dual channel mode will also activate if you get two 8gb sticks.

One thing though , your motherboard is at 120°C in that screenshot. This is way to high especially if you are not doing alot on there. I would look at cleaning out fans of dust , see if any are broken and if not defiantly look at getting some better cooling going on. You will see massive improvements from just getting temperature down some parts may even bottleneck themselves to keep temperature down.

P.S I was into building computers about 12 years ago. Its a  ever changing world that I have not kept up with but the guys over at https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/ thrive off this stuff and will  give you alot better advice than I can. This is just what I would do Smile.

I had 4xGB RAM on my old setup, got new motherboard because of a new processor -> got only 2 slots. That's why I need to buy 2x4GB, or 2x8GB but i think 8GB total is enough for me, playing a few games (League, CS sometimes) and doing some light Photoshop/Premier school assignments.

[+] 1 user Likes drFritz's post