chevron_left chevron_right
Login Register invert_colors photo_library
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

filter_list What should I know about Kali?
Author
(12-29-2016, 12:39 PM)Bish0pQ Wrote: what Kali are you using, the rolling edition or the regular one?

Stable, I've had enough with rolling releases for a while.

RE: What should I know about Kali? #12
If you're new to Linux - don't start with Kali Sad
Start with Debian or Ubuntu, familiarise yourself with the important commands and learn about Linux in general.
Only then, with an existing knowledge of Linux, migrate to Kali. I would only recommend Kali if you're 100% going to use the hacking toolbox otherwise I would stick with Ubuntu or Mint.
Coffee fueled python amateur.

RE: What should I know about Kali? #13
(12-30-2016, 12:32 PM)WiFi Wrote: If you're new to Linux - don't start with Kali Sad
Start with Debian or Ubuntu, familiarise yourself with the important commands and learn about Linux in general.
Only then, with an existing knowledge of Linux, migrate to Kali. I would only recommend Kali if you're 100% going to use the hacking toolbox otherwise I would stick with Ubuntu or Mint.

Why, specifically, should someone start with Debian or Ubuntu, over Kali? I'm curious of your reasoning.
---
Click here to get started with Linux!

If I helped you, please +rep me, apparently we've started over on Rep and I'd like to break 100 again...

Inori Wrote: got clickbaited by roger

RE: What should I know about Kali? #14
(12-30-2016, 12:32 PM)WiFi Wrote: If you're new to Linux - don't start with Kali Sad

I'm not new to Linux, but I'm new to Kali specifically. Since it has a custom kernel and a shitton of tools, I thought I should expect some different things.

RE: What should I know about Kali? #15
(12-30-2016, 07:32 PM)Inori Wrote:

I'm not new to Linux, but I'm new to Kali specifically. Since it has a custom kernel and a shitton of tools, I thought I should expect some different things.

Honestly, it's not that much different than Debian. How "custom" is the Kali kernel? If by "custom" they mean additional kernel modules loaded be default, then that really doesn't have much impact on you as a regular end user.

Don't overthink it. Script Kiddie tool bags can use Kali. If you have even basic experience w/ any Linux distro, you'll be fine.
---

If I helped you, please +rep me, apparently we've started over on Rep and I'd like to break 100 again...

[+] 1 user Likes roger_smith's post

RE: What should I know about Kali? #16
I was saying to not use Kali if it's your first time using Linux, didn't know OP had previous affiliations with Linux.
Never mind, sorry guys.

p.s. the reason I was saying to not use first time if you're new to Linux is because some users find it overwhelming especially with the additional toolbox and modules. I usually recommend beginners to use Debian so they can familiarize themselves with Linux in general, and the terminal.
(This post was last modified: 12-30-2016, 10:20 PM by WiFi.)
Coffee fueled python amateur.

RE: What should I know about Kali? #17
(12-30-2016, 10:19 PM)WiFi Wrote: the reason I was saying to not use first time if you're new to Linux is because some users find it overwhelming especially with the additional toolbox and modules. I usually recommend beginners to use Debian so they can familiarize themselves with Linux in general, and the terminal.

That's pretty solid reasoning; I remember my first time using Kali around two years back when I wasn't very familiar with Linux. It was pretty distracting and I didn't end up learning much. Any user-friendly Debian distro (Ubuntu specifically, hooray for LTS) or a simple RHEL-based system like CentOS is a good place to start.

Edit: if you hate yourself, go with Arch or Gentoo right off the bat Tongue
(This post was last modified: 12-30-2016, 10:27 PM by Inori.)

RE: What should I know about Kali? #18
(12-30-2016, 10:19 PM)WiFi Wrote: I was saying to not use Kali if it's your first time using Linux, didn't know OP had previous affiliations with Linux.
Never mind, sorry guys.

p.s. the reason I was saying to not use first time if you're new to Linux is because some users find it overwhelming especially with the additional toolbox and modules. I usually recommend beginners to use Debian so they can familiarize themselves with Linux in general, and the terminal.

Debian is actually quite difficult for a new user. I typically point new users towards Mint or Ubuntu. Debian doesn't have apt repos setup beyond the disc image, and doesn't like to do much of anything OOTB.
---

RE: What should I know about Kali? #19
(12-30-2016, 10:27 PM)roger_smith Wrote:
(12-30-2016, 10:19 PM)WiFi Wrote: I was saying to not use Kali if it's your first time using Linux, didn't know OP had previous affiliations with Linux.
Never mind, sorry guys.

Debian is actually quite difficult for a new user. I typically point new users towards Mint or Ubuntu. Debian doesn't have apt repos setup beyond the disc image, and doesn't like to do much of anything OOTB.

I would actually discourage using Mint as a first step. Sure, it's nice and easy to work with, but if you're actually trying to learn how to use Linux efficiently, I think it holds your hand too much.

RE: What should I know about Kali? #20
(12-30-2016, 10:29 PM)Inori Wrote:
(12-30-2016, 10:27 PM)roger_smith Wrote:
Never mind, sorry guys.

I would actually discourage using Mint as a first step. Sure, it's nice and easy to work with, but if you're actually trying to learn how to use Linux efficiently, I think it holds your hand too much.

I think if it's a brand new person who has no idea what a linux is, hand holding is OK. When I say "new user" I'm talking about someone who doesn't even fully comprehend what an Operating System is, and doesn't know that a world exists beyond Microsoft Windows.

If you want someone to try something new, they need to be able to make it do something in fairly short order. You can get a user up and running on Ubuntu or Mint, and they can be listening to music or Facebooking within an hour or so.
---

[+] 1 user Likes roger_smith's post