chevron_left chevron_right
Login Register invert_colors photo_library
Stay updated and chat with others! - Join the Discord!
Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Virus Removal Tools filter_list
Author
(05-31-2015, 01:02 PM)mothered Wrote: Well, please prove me wrong with Kaspersky and show me a single piece of evidence point to Kaspersky alone, being malicious In nature. And where did I mention, directly or Indirectly In any way shape or form that "all pieces of malware" are capable?

Well, you were pushing the argument that it is possible for VM malware to jump into the host, which I did not deny. What I was arguing, was that it is HIGHLY UNLIKELY for it to happen, and that the general demographic for a malware programmer is to distribute to the best and easiest demographic, which VM is not.

The same with Kaspersky. Kaspersky are an AV company, yes. However, what stops somebody from hacking them and injecting malicious scripts? Just like what happened to Avast a year ago.

RE: Virus Removal Tools #22
(05-31-2015, 01:02 PM)mothered Wrote: ...

You're missing the point.

Your response (In your previous post) was pertaining to "Infection", yet you've posted: "Hell, look at Adobe, they install fuckin' MCAFEE when you download flash". My point Is (In reply to your statement), that the Installation of McAfee Is a legitimate "Ad-Supported" Installation of the product and not an Infection (malicious).

We're on the topic of malicious content, however for some reason, you fail to differentiate between what's considered malicious and what's an actual legit product.

In conclusion, show me where any of my contributed links contain "malicious" content and I will gladly stand corrected.

No, I think your missing the point unfortunately. I'm not sure if I'm simply not conveying it clearly enough, or it there is some other issue.

My response, in its entirety, was referencing the statement of "this is the type of mentality that will get you infected."

I've been working in IT for over 10 years, doing end user support/repair, and web hosting security. I've seen plenty of people who "don't browse any funny sites" get infected from a "legit" site that has been compromised. In my web hosting security experience, I've seen PLENTY of "legit" sites that have some form of injection or redirection, or otherwise leads to a malware infection. I have found trojan'd installers for popular software being hosted on THAT SOFTWARES SITE due to compromise.

Again, my statement prior:

"I can certainly vouch for that to a degree. At minimum stuff you download from reputable sites could still install a bunch of adware plugin bullshit you don't want or need. Hell, look at Adobe, they install fuckin' MCAFEE when you download flash! The "average user" that we're all talking about doesn't think twice to uncheck the box, they just click click click until there isn't an option to click anymore, then get confused when their system is loaded down with garbage."

Let's break it down.

"I can certainly vouch for that to a degree." I can agree with @Nothing.nobody to a certain level

"At minimum stuff you download from reputable sites could still install a bunch of adware plugin bullshit you don't want or need" - this statement is important to see. The next one is referencing this one.

"Hell, look at Adobe, they install fuckin' MCAFEE when you download flash!" - This here, is where I'm pointing out that a reputable site that receives a bajillion hits, is offering software that installs additional software if you aren't careful. THIS STATEMENT SUPPORTS MY PREVIOUS STATEMENT. It shows that I find distaste for Adobe's practice of having flash be "ad supported".

"The "average user" that we're all talking about doesn't think twice to uncheck the box, they just click click click until there isn't an option to click anymore, then get confused when their system is loaded down with garbage." - I think this one is self explanatory, but basically the average user doesn't really look at what's being installed. I've seen plenty of legitimate software use some very shady install practices, including misleading installation directions, to get the end user to install the additional software.
---
Click here to get started with Linux!

If I helped you, please +rep me, apparently we've started over on Rep and I'd like to break 100 again...

Inori Wrote: got clickbaited by roger

RE: Virus Removal Tools #23
(05-31-2015, 02:54 PM)roger_smith Wrote: My response, in its entirety, was referencing the statement of "this is the type of mentality that will get you infected."

That's great, now we're getting somewhere. It's exactly my point In previous posts. Here's the equation, It's pretty simple as follows:

As per your confirmation, you're supporting the above statement relative to the probability of "Infection", by replying (quoting)
with your following post:

(05-30-2015, 04:29 PM)roger_smith Wrote: I can certainly vouch for that to a degree. At minimum stuff you download from reputable sites could still install a bunch of adware plugin bullshit you don't want or need. Hell, look at Adobe, they install fuckin' MCAFEE when you download flash! The "average user" that we're all talking about doesn't think twice to uncheck the box, they just click click click until there isn't an option to click anymore, then get confused when their system is loaded down with garbage.

Can you please demonstrate how your post supports and relates to the aforementioned statement pertaining to "Infection".
I reiterate the fact that you're supporting the statement of "Infection", as detailed In your self-proclaimed post above.
I've read your post over and over again, but unfortunately, I can only see an "Ad-Supported" product mentioned via a legit vendor
and nothing else. Perhaps I'm missing the obvious? I highly doubt It.
In short, I'd like to read where and how your post-reply supports "Infection".

I've always been In compliance with forum rules and It stands at the time of this post, It's taken a turn to a somewhat debate-like
discussion, hence given the nature of our posts, conversing In such a manner In an off-topic fashion may well breach such forum
rules. It's by no means my Intention, therefore I'd prefer to keep the exchange of Information relative to the topic at hand.
[Image: AD83g1A.png]

RE: Virus Removal Tools #24
(06-01-2015, 02:33 PM)mothered Wrote: That's great, now we're getting somewhere. It's exactly my point In previous posts. Here's the equation, It's pretty simple as follows:

As per your confirmation, you're supporting the above statement relative to the probability of "Infection", by replying (quoting)
with your following post:

Can you please demonstrate how your post supports and relates to the aforementioned statement pertaining to "Infection".
I reiterate the fact that you're supporting the statement of "Infection", as detailed In your self-proclaimed post above.
I've read your post over and over again, but unfortunately, I can only see an "Ad-Supported" product mentioned via a legit vendor
and nothing else. Perhaps I'm missing the obvious? I highly doubt It.
In short, I'd like to read where and how your post-reply supports "Infection".

I've always been In compliance with forum rules and It stands at the time of this post, It's taken a turn to a somewhat debate-like
discussion, hence given the nature of our posts, conversing In such a manner In an off-topic fashion may well breach such forum
rules. It's by no means my Intention, therefore I'd prefer to keep the exchange of Information relative to the topic at hand.

You are missing the point, and I don't have the energy to try and explain it again, carry on.
---
Click here to get started with Linux!

If I helped you, please +rep me, apparently we've started over on Rep and I'd like to break 100 again...

Inori Wrote: got clickbaited by roger

RE: Virus Removal Tools #25
Thanks a lot for the help man really appreciate it.
Dig Bick McGhee

RE: Virus Removal Tools #26
I strongly recommend you don't use McAfee Stinger it's one of the worst virus scanners out there.

RE: Virus Removal Tools #27
(06-06-2015, 09:34 PM)Divian Wrote: Thanks a lot for the help man really appreciate it.

You're very welcome, I'm glad you've found this of benefit.

(06-06-2015, 10:12 PM)antisocial Wrote: I strongly recommend you don't use McAfee Stinger it's one of the worst virus scanners out there.

I haven't used Stinger for many years to date, so perhaps It may not hold up In It's detection ratio compared to the other tools.
That said, what a given tool detects, another may miss and vice-versa, hence (provided there's no compatibility Issues) I tend to utilize a few tools of this nature one after the other.
[Image: AD83g1A.png]

RE: Virus Removal Tools #28
I'd like to add Adwcleaner as a fantastic adware/junk removal tool and the ever overlooked yet super thorough Vipre Rescue to the conversation. Both great tools.

RE: Virus Removal Tools #29
Not bad Smile

McAfee Stinger isn't really good to use nowadays, well McAfee itself isn't good to use.
[Image: QOWJejD.gif]

RE: Virus Removal Tools #30
@Maximum Please stop gravedigging.