Login Register

Tutorial [Hobby Section] Legally buying guns without a background check (49 states) filter_list
Author
[Hobby Section] Legally buying guns without a background check (49 states) #1
I buy a lot of guns, and I know a few of you do as well. Those of us that have actually read the 2nd Amendment to the United States Constitution know that ANY gun law is unconstitutional. Among this nonsense is the background check requirement.
But legal issues aside, I just hate doing them. I can't stand having to leave my house, pick out an overpriced gun, fill out a 4473 until my hand hurts, show ID, then wait for FBI to tell me I can exercise my rights. Let me let you in on a little secret:
I own more guns than I can keep track of (don't ask me how many, I really have no idea). However in my entire lifetime I have filled out form 4473 a grand total of 4 times.
Sure, there are private sales allowed in some states, but those are extremely limited. You have to:
1. find a gun that's already in the same state you live in
2. be in a state that allows private sales
3. find a seller of that gun that won't ask you to go to a dealer or show a concealed weapons permit
That really narrows it down to a bunch of overpriced horse shit.

Leaving the more or less illegal methods of obtaining guns aside, you really don't have any options. But what if I told you there was a way where you could legally buy guns from anywhere (even overseas), and have them shipped straight to your house. No dealers, no 4473, no showing ID, etc. Well, there is. It will sadden you to know (for now) that it's as simple as just getting your own Federal Firearms License (the same thing dealers have).
In this thread, I'm going to walk you through the process, and then give you a little detail on what to do with your new license.

The first thing you need to do is fill out Form 5310.12. It's pretty easy to do, below you will find (redacted) screenshots from one of mine:
Page 1:
Spoiler:
[Image: TPMF42q.png]
Page 2:
Spoiler:
[Image: bZNEkLi.png]
Page 3:
Spoiler:
[Image: 4CvMdkV.png]

You do NOT have to do fingerprint cards or photographs for a type 03 license, but you DO need to print 2 copies of that. One copy gets mailed to ATF (locations vary with your region), and one copy gets mailed to whoever is in charge of law enforcement locally. Don't worry, they can't do anything to hinder you and their approval is not necessary.

Go ahead and mail that in, along with your $30 payment, and wait. In about a month you should receive a license in the mail along with a bunch of other documentation.
Spoiler:
[Image: P0DCwUr.png]

Ok, now you can legally buy guns, but there is another thing you need to do first. You need to buy an A&D book. There are rules for the format of this book. I just grab them from Amazon.

Once you have both the license and the book, you need to understand what you can and cannot buy. You can buy:
1. Any firearm that is over 50 years old (online sellers will often mark these "C&R")
2. Any firearm on the ATF Curio List (includes NFA items)

You can import any of the above UNLESS it's a military surplus firearm, then you will need an importer, but the transfer process is direct (as if you had bought it from inside the country)

You can sell any firearm you own to any person within your state, or any C&R firearm to any other FFL holder in the country.

What does this process look like?
1. Go find a gun (lets say you got one on GunBroker)
2. Buy it
3. You'll get an email with instructions for sending them your dealer. Here you simply send them a PDF copy of your license
4. Wait for your gun to arrive in the mail
5. When your gun arrives, you will need to unpack it, verify the serial number, and record the firearm in your A&D book
6. Go shoot it

These licenses are really useful, because you can buy as many guns as you like without any of the normal hoops, and you only need to go through a background check every 3 years.

I'd be happy to help anybody that's interested with the process, just let me know.

[+] 1 user Likes phyrrus9's post

RE: [Hobby Section] Legally buying guns without a background check (49 states) #2
Thank you for this write up, learned some new things here as well. Will definitely be bookmarking this.

RE: [Hobby Section] Legally buying guns without a background check (49 states) #3
(10-18-2020, 05:18 AM)blackrosex0x0 Wrote: Thank you for this write up, learned some new things here as well. Will definitely be bookmarking this.

Why not just get one?

RE: [Hobby Section] Legally buying guns without a background check (49 states) #4
The easiest way I know of is using arms list and search for private sellers only

RE: [Hobby Section] Legally buying guns without a background check (49 states) #5
(11-10-2020, 12:49 AM)Cabrian Wrote: The easiest way I know of is using  arms list and search for private sellers only

I mentioned that, but that leaves a giant gap in that unless that seller is in the same state you are, you can't make the sale. If I'm in State Line, ID and you're in Spokane, WA (a whole 5 miles away), I can't sell you a gun.