chevron_left chevron_right
Login Register invert_colors photo_library

Stay updated and chat with others! - Join the Discord!
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Tutorial Computer Protection Guide filter_list
Author
Computer Protection Guide
by Master Antrax

1.0) Introduction
Since the first viruses and malware were created, they have evolved to become more destructive and harder to get off of a machine. One big malware wave that came through was the "Crypto Wall" virus. (http://www.symantec.com/security_respons...23-2824-99) It encrypted most or all of the files in the file system and had the infected user pay a ransom to get the decryption key. The ransom was varied a lot. Sometimes is would be $500, sometimes $5000. In this guide you will learn how to protect yourself from the ever-changing malware that exist today.

2.0) How to Prevent Becoming Infected
This the first step you should go through. If you follow these steps then you should get little to no viruses/malware on your PC to begin with. So lets get started.
2.1) Browsing Safely
This is not stressed enough these days. Even though it is really simple. The main part of it is avoid clicking on everything. There are thousands of ads and pop-ups on the internet in this day. So you should avoid clicking most if not all ads. Also if your browser supports a malware check, then make sure you have it enabled. Also watch out for misleading pop-ups. These are pop-ups that look like legit antiviruses, but they trick you into downloading a malicious file. Also if this comes up, then you should probably clear your cache. As some pop-ups will store info in the cache that causes the pop-ups to return.
2.2) Handling Downloaded Files
This is how most viruses/malware are most of the time spread to users. You should be careful when downloading any file. Unless you can absolutely, 100% trust the site or distributor. Also if the file is not that large you may want to upload it to sites like VirusTotal. If one is provided, you might want to upload it again. As new info could have been discovered about the file, or the scan could be of a totally different file. If you cannot upload it, then you could scan it on and installed antivirus.
2.3) Dealing with E-Mails
Don't download attachments from a source you don't know. Email attachments are the number 1 way that viruses and other malware get spread. You should never click an attachment or link in an email from someone you don't recognize. If you are unsure of the sender, get confirmation from them that the file is legitimate before downloading it. If you're expecting that though then you could make an exception.

3.0) Protecting Your PC From Viruses
Now that we have gone over how to not get infected, we are going to go over how to protect yourself from infections. As well as removing existing ones. Because even if you follow the steps listed above, you still have the possibility if becoming infected.
3.1) Get Anti-Virus/Malware
Some people think that having an anti-virus/malware slows down the PC. Well that is either because their computer is bad, or they are trying to do everything in the world while running a scan of their PC. Anyways to me I prefer anti-malware over anti-virus. As most anti-viruses are annoying with all of the pop-ups to me. Anyways here are some big anti-virus/malware programs. These are very trusted, and used often: Those are just 3, I am sure you can find lots more by using a simple search.
3.2) Rootkits, Ad-Ware, and Spyware Removal Tools
These are a few tools you can scan you PC with every now and then, and when you feel as if you're infected. Those will help remove most viruses/malware from your machine if your anti-virus/malware does not pick it up first.

4.0) Conclusion
Now this guide has come to an end. I hope you have learned how to protect your PC from viruses and malware. I hope this helps you and it ends your days of having to reload your PC due to it having to many viruses on it. Rendering the infected machine useless.

RE: Computer Protection Guide #2
Thanks for this thread, this will help many people not aware how to protect their computer. I personally use Malwarebytes often and AVG 2015.
[Image: master645.png]

Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination.” ― The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson

RE: Computer Protection Guide #3
You did a great job on copying and pasting,

http://realforums.org/showthread.php?tid=6022

Try harder next time.

RE: Computer Protection Guide #4
sharing is not a bad idea
but I think one should give credit to its real owner
(This post was last modified: 03-14-2015, 04:51 PM by lionking.)
I always learn from mistake of
others who take my advice. Wink

RE: Computer Protection Guide #5
(03-14-2015, 03:38 PM)whatever Wrote: You did a great job on copying and pasting,

http://realforums.org/showthread.php?tid=6022

Try harder next time.

(03-14-2015, 04:51 PM)lionking Wrote: sharing is not a bad idea
but I think one should give credit to its real owner

@whatever @lionking I am that use on RF.

RE: Computer Protection Guide #6
Antiviruses don't do much for anyone anymore~

By the time they have what at one moment may be the newest shit to protect against, it'll be anywhere from a week to months too late to protect you.
free @pvnk