chevron_left chevron_right
Login Register invert_colors photo_library

Stay updated and chat with others! - Join the Discord!
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Tutorial Bit masking and shifts filter_list
Author
One of the hardest concepts to grasp with C (or most GPPLs) is the concepts of masking and shifting (and likewise rotating with and without carry).

Well, I am going to break it all down for you.

Bit masking
Bit masking is a way to extract 0 or more bits from a number (though you really don't have a reason to extract 0 bits from anything...). Think of it like this: the number 3 (hex 0x3, binary 00000011) is actually made up of 2 and 1. Now this number: 5 (hex 0x5, binary 00000101) is made up of 4 and 1. What do the two numbers share? the 1. We can determine this pragmatically with bit masks. Though, this is not really the intended purpose. Say we have a function that allocates memory for us (through malloc), and has options to zero the memory, secure erase the memory (humor me), set the full contents to its max value, or securely set the contents to its maximum value.

Code:
void *ourmalloc(unsigned int size, char zero, char securezero, char max, char securemax)
{
     void *ret = malloc(size);
     if (NULL == ret) return NULL;
     if (zero)
          memset(ret, 0, size);
     else if (securezero)
     {
          memset(ret, 0, size);
          memset(ret, 0xff, size);
          memset(ret, 0, size);
     }
     else if (max)
          memset(ret, 0xff, size);
     else if (securemax)
     {
          memset(ret, 0xff, size);
          memset(ret, 0, size);
          memset(ret, 0xff, size);
     }
     return ret;
}

This means that we must ALWAYS pass 5 arguments into the function....even if we just want to allocate regular memory....One way to solve this (if you are using C++) is default arguments. But, if you are using C, you have no such option. We instead use bitmasks:

Code:
#define OURMALLOC_REGULAR 0x00
#define OURMALLOC_ZERO 0x01
#define OURMALLOC_SZERO 0x02
#define OURMALLOC_MAX 0x04
#define OURMALLOC_SMAX 0x08
void *ourmalloc(unsigned int size, char opts)
{
     void *ret = malloc(size);
     if (NULL == ret) return NULL;
     char zero = 0, securezero = 0, max = 0, securemax = 0;
     //parse the options
     if (opts & OURMALLOC_ZERO) //mask off with mask=0x1 (extract only bit #0)
          zero = 1;
     else if (opts & OURMALLOC_SZERO) //mask off bit #1
          securezero = 1;
     else if (opts & OURMALLOC_MAX) //mask off bit #2
          max = 1;
     else if (opts & OURMALLOC_SMAX) //mask off bit #3
          securemax = 1;
     //do stuff
     if (zero)
          memset(ret, 0, size);
     else if (securezero)
     {
          memset(ret, 0, size);
          memset(ret, 0xff, size);
          memset(ret, 0, size);
     }
     else if (max)
          memset(ret, 0xff, size);
     else if (securemax)
     {
          memset(ret, 0xff, size);
          memset(ret, 0, size);
          memset(ret, 0xff, size);
     }
     return ret;
}

Now, I hope that makes some sense...now we only pass 2 arguments to the function but get the exact same functionality. We can also combine them...by say defining only

ZERO = 1
MAX = 2
SECURE = 3

then we can check for opts & zero, opts & max, opts & (zero | secure), and opts & (max | secure) to do the same thing.

Bit shifts

Alright, in the last example we defined our options as values 0, 1, 2, 4, and 8 to mask off bits NA, 0, 1, 2, and 3 respectively. But that isn't very readable...we solve this with the LEFT shift.

in binary if we have 00000001 and we left shift that by 1, it moves every bit over to the left 1 (the bit farthest left is lost, and a 0 is put in bit 0's place) and we get 00000010. This is equivalent of multiplying by 2 and uses the operator << in C.

Code:
#define OURMALLOC_REGULAR 0
#define OURMALLOC_ZERO 1 << 0
#define OURMALLOC_SZERO 1 << 1
#define OURMALLOC_MAX 1 << 2
#define OURMALLOC_SMAX 1 << 3

MUCH easier to read...

The same is true for right shifts, except that bit 0 is lost and bit 7 is now 0.

But how do we keep this data?

Bit rotations without carry

There is no C operator for this (but there is an assembler opcode for it), but there exists a bit rotate. For example a left rotate instead of bit 7 being lost, it is put in the place of bit 0.

10000000 ROTL 1 would become 00000001 and that ROTR would be 10000000

Bit rotations with carry

This is a really difficult concept to grasp, but basically there are 9 bits involved here, using the carry bit (in the status register) as an extension.

10000000 rotated left through carry by 1 bit would become 00000000 and doing the same operation again would become 00000001. I won't go into this concept any further because it would fit great in an assembly tutorial later.

[+] 1 user Likes phyrrus9's post

RE: Bit masking and shifts #2
Nice share even though I wouldn't consider this as one of the hardest concepts to grasp with C but again, look at this people, a fucking good tutorial on sinister.ly? can you believe that?! Lol

As for the bitshifting part, I'm kind of sure that a lot of people won't understand it and won't even know how useful bitshifting can be if they never coded ASM, nor will they give a single shit about the carriage flag lol.

RE: Bit masking and shifts #3
(08-30-2015, 10:32 PM)dotcppfile Wrote: Nice share even though I wouldn't consider this as one of the hardest concepts to grasp with C but again, look at this people, a fucking good tutorial on sinister.ly? can you believe that?! Lol

As for the bitshifting part, I'm kind of sure that a lot of people won't understand it and won't even know how useful bitshifting can be if they never coded ASM, nor will they give a single shit about the carriage flag lol.

C gives no access to the carry bit anyways, which is why I just introduced it and saved the details for an assembly tutorial.

RE: Bit masking and shifts #4
(08-30-2015, 11:25 PM)phyrrus9 Wrote: C gives no access to the carry bit anyways, which is why I just introduced it and saved the details for an assembly tutorial.

True but, in this case, you can always check the last bit before shifting and that would do the trick.

RE: Bit masking and shifts #5
(08-30-2015, 11:30 PM)dotcppfile Wrote: True but, in this case, you can always check the last bit before shifting and that would do the trick.

You /can/ do that, but then it isn't a proper shift, since a shift is actually only a single operation (and usually a single cycle).

[+] 1 user Likes phyrrus9's post

RE: Bit masking and shifts #6
Hmm, I didn't know bit shifting could be circular. Oh, and what are the possible applications of circular bit-shifting with carry? I'm probably missing something, but I don't see the point.

RE: Bit masking and shifts #7
(08-31-2015, 12:41 AM)eclipse Wrote: Hmm, I didn't know bit shifting could be circular. Oh, and what are the possible applications of circular bit-shifting with carry? I'm probably missing something, but I don't see the point.

Encryption (specifically hashing) uses it quite frequently.

RE: Bit masking and shifts #8
(08-31-2015, 12:41 AM)eclipse Wrote: Hmm, I didn't know bit shifting could be circular. Oh, and what are the possible applications of circular bit-shifting with carry? I'm probably missing something, but I don't see the point.

I remember using circular bitshifting badly when working with image formats, specially when converting a format to another which wasn't a fucking fun experience at all, trust me lol.

RE: Bit masking and shifts #9
(08-31-2015, 01:41 AM)dotcppfile Wrote: I remember using circular bitshifting badly when working with image formats, specially when converting a format to another which wasn't a fucking fun experience at all, trust me lol.

What's the point of having a carry? Surely 11000000 -> 10000001 --> 00000011 is more useful than 11000000 --> 10000000 --> 00000001 --> 00000011

RE: Bit masking and shifts #10
(08-31-2015, 01:51 AM)eclipse Wrote: What's the point of having a carry? Surely 11000000 -> 10000001 --> 00000011 is more useful than 11000000 --> 10000000 --> 00000001 --> 00000011

I never mentioned using a carry when working with image formats.