chevron_left chevron_right
Login Register invert_colors photo_library

Stay updated and chat with others! - Join the Discord!
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Thoughts: Setting up Malware Removal section? filter_list
Author
Thoughts: Setting up Malware Removal section? #1
I will finish official training of proper malware removal by the end of this year (I can't mention the place, because technically, the users aren't allowed to be on a "hack" forum. Though, I don't think that matters considering disinfection should be allowed to all users of any forum.

What would you guys, and Oni, think about having such a section? Would it be necessary? Or maybe it has some advertisement qualities to the site?

RE: Thoughts: Setting up Malware Removal section? #2
How to remove Malware 101:

1) Have a backup.
2) Format everything.
3) Install new OS.
4) ???
5) Profit.

[Image: tumblr_noac9s6rgw1tvnnaxo1_500.gif]
Tik Tak~! Time is up~!

RE: Thoughts: Setting up Malware Removal section? #3
Depending on the format, it's possible that malware can survive a format easily, there are multiple examples of going into the MBR (bootkits).

Backups can be infected by cryptoware (such as the infamous CryptoWall)

RE: Thoughts: Setting up Malware Removal section? #4
A bit of an old thread, but I did find this a tad interesting.

It's something we've seen on other computing forums, and a lot of members here including myself would be more than happy to assist other members in cleaning their systems of infections and whatnot.

I can't see it hurting anything by having one, only helping from my perspective. It would certainly be another reason for a member to come here and request assistance. However, there is other places that it could be posted, no? I understand there is no dedicated section, but there doesn't always need to be unless there is a large amount of threads that warrant it's own forum on the site.

RE: Thoughts: Setting up Malware Removal section? #5
This actually isn't a bad idea, it could attract a whole other audience of users.
XMPP - wrath@xmpp.jp

RE: Thoughts: Setting up Malware Removal section? #6
(07-19-2015, 11:40 PM)Crypt Wrote: This actually isn't a bad idea, it could attract a whole other audience of users.

Yes. Even just making it more clear that we are a forum that is open to providing assistance within this subject would not be a bad idea. Although, as this is more than less a suggestion, it may get more notice if in the Suggestions forum.

RE: Thoughts: Setting up Malware Removal section? #7
Nope, this would be a useless forum. Malware removal is trivial, and the forum would have one or two useful threads. The rest will be skids begging for help.

RE: Thoughts: Setting up Malware Removal section? #8
(07-20-2015, 12:08 AM)Eclipse Wrote: Nope, this would be a useless forum. Malware removal is trivial, and the forum would have one or two useful threads. The rest will be skids begging for help.

Yet somehow mathematics is somehow more of a useful section than malware removal on a forum intended to be focused on security..?
XMPP - wrath@xmpp.jp

RE: Thoughts: Setting up Malware Removal section? #9
(07-20-2015, 12:18 AM)Crypt Wrote: Yet somehow mathematics is somehow more of a useful section than malware removal on a forum intended to be focused on security..?

Yes.

RE: Thoughts: Setting up Malware Removal section? #10
Tbh just use this section... I mean we could make another one idk why that's such a hard thing to do either. Literally click a few buttons. But like how often do people even ask for malware removal help? Idk.