chevron_left chevron_right
Login Register invert_colors photo_library
Stay updated and chat with others! - Join the Discord!
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

"The Onion of Windows" filter_list
Author
Hi guys,i'm open this topic to discuss about Windows security... somewhere i see someone saying that the all security systems is a onion,why?because of their phases.
let's see(for me its like this):
  • Encrypt hard disk
  • Have a good anti-virus
  • Use a good Firewall
  • Use IDS(can u tell me some software that can i use?)
  • Use TOR or other security browser
  • Use VPN paid
  • Dont be retarded and dont click in everything u see

What's ur opinion?
.:: NoOb AleRt ::. ::. DoN't BlaMe .::

RE: "The Onion of Windows" #2
Personally, I would never try to Anonymize myself at all on a Windows computer. The reason why is not that its any easier to crack the identity of the person (So long as you are using TOR AND a VPN, and unless you are being specifically targeted by the NSA, there is a 0% chance of getting caught as long as you are not doing anything stupid) and That hasn't known to happen yet, Windows or Linux. But the problem with windows is that it leaves traces of your activities on your hard drive without you knowing it. And thats where most people get into trouble. They make some mistake (we are only human after all), the authorities show up and they use a DF expert to find traces of your activities.

Windows does a lot of functions outside of those secure environments that people fail to realize exist. One of those things is that many caches exist within OS, sometimes for the operation of the programs and sometimes for pure convenience in the event of running the program again. When you are actively using the programs, many of the unencrypted data is stored in these caches and they remain there even when the source program is closed and the data is encrypted once more. I have found tons of such caches on Windows over the years. For example, type in %TEMP% in your search bar on your start menu and you will see the Temporary Cache that many programs use to store their contents when they are running and fail to delete them when finished. JZip and 7z is a perfect example of a program that decrypts your files and stores the unencrypted contents on that file without you knowing.

Furthermore, since Windows continusely Indexes many operations for the convenience of the OS and so the user can search files, it dosent take much for a Digital forensics expert to read those indexes and see traces of your activities on your computer.

I use linux or TailsOS on a Virtual Machine (if im forced to use windows), as well as Fedora on my laptop to anonymize myself online. The rule of thumb is the more lightweight your OS, the less caches, indexes, and services running in the back and the less likely you are to not only get caught, but not to leave evidence of what you are doing.
"Making use of human weaknesses in intelligence work is a logical matter. It keeps coming up, and of course you try to look at all the aspects that interest you in a human being." - Markus Wolf

[+] 1 user Likes azRAel_'s post

RE: "The Onion of Windows" #3
Firewalls are redundant, anti-viruses are old, and don't work much anymore, TOR isn't that great really. You can be fucked over without clicking anything really.

I think your idea of security online is outdated.
free @pvnk

[+] 2 users Like Satan's post

RE: "The Onion of Windows" #4
(03-14-2015, 01:19 AM)Six Wrote: Firewalls are redundant, anti-viruses are old, and don't work much anymore, TOR isn't that great really. You can be fucked over without clicking anything really.

I think your idea of what security online is outdated.

So what should one do to stay secure online ??
I always learn from mistake of
others who take my advice. Wink

RE: "The Onion of Windows" #5
(03-14-2015, 02:46 AM)lionking Wrote: So what should one do to stay secure online ??
Step 1: Locate the back of your PC.
Step 2: Locate Ethernet cord.
Step 3: Unplug the cable.
Step 4: Drink merrily, for you are safe online.

Look into new tech for online security. "Tried and trusted" methods will never keep up.
free @pvnk

[+] 2 users Like Satan's post

RE: "The Onion of Windows" #6
(03-14-2015, 02:50 AM)Six Wrote: Step 1: Locate the back of your PC.
Step 2: Locate Ethernet cord.
Step 3: Unplug the cable.
Step 4: Drink merrily, for you are safe online.

Look into new tech for online security. "Tried and trusted" methods will never keep up.

1)LOL

2)got it thanks for reply !!
I always learn from mistake of
others who take my advice. Wink

RE: "The Onion of Windows" #7
(03-13-2015, 11:15 PM)morizaki Wrote:
  • Encrypt hard disk
  • Have a good anti-virus
  • Use a good Firewall
  • Use IDS(can u tell me some software that can i use?)
  • Use TOR or other security browser
  • Use VPN paid
  • Dont be retarded and dont click in everything u see

Half of these can easily be negated simply by being smart about what you do. (i.e. firewalls and anti-viruses). For IDs, I suggest you make your own software. I wouldn't trust software that my friends made (mainly because they are all so nefarious), much less some random stranger's software. I wouldn't pay for a VPN, I would just setup my own. No use in paying out of pocket for one when you can just make your own, it's not smart economically (in the long run), nor security wise, since you're buying it, without knowing completely how it works. The only REAL step you need to take here is encrypt your hard disk, and you don't even need to do that. Data is never *really* deleted, rather just written over. So if you can write over all the data on your hard disk enough times after you've finished using it, then you're fine. There comes a point where data is corrupted because it gets overwritten in some part of it, just do that for ALL of it. The only reason you'd need to encrypt it at all is while it's in use. But after you've completely used it, and have no use for it ever again, override it. Or, recycle it, and use it again. Think secure, not smart.

[+] 1 user Likes Stocking's post

RE: "The Onion of Windows" #8
(03-14-2015, 05:46 AM)Equinox Wrote: So if you can write over all the data on your hard disk enough times after you've finished using it, then you're fine.

On Linux, that is the case but In my experience with windows, the OS doesnt even bother to write over many of the caches. They just keep adding on and on. Ive seen a %TEMP% cache file that contained over 6 years worth of data. Zip and RAR files are particularly bad at this. When you decrypt a file with them, it stores the unencrypted content on that temp file and it doesnt even bother to delete it even when you close the archive and re-encrypt it again..
"Making use of human weaknesses in intelligence work is a logical matter. It keeps coming up, and of course you try to look at all the aspects that interest you in a human being." - Markus Wolf

RE: "The Onion of Windows" #9
(03-14-2015, 01:19 AM)Six Wrote: Firewalls are redundant, anti-viruses are old, and don't work much anymore, TOR isn't that great really. You can be fucked over without clicking anything really.

I think your idea of security online is outdated.

Tor? That's literally the most secure thing on OP's list. Disable JS and you're 10x better off than a VPN.

RE: "The Onion of Windows" #10
(03-14-2015, 08:52 AM)azRAel1388 Wrote: On Linux, that is the case but In my experience with windows, the OS doesnt even bother to write over many of the caches. They just keep adding on and on. Ive seen a %TEMP% cache file that contained over 6 years worth of data. Zip and RAR files are particularly bad at this. When you decrypt a file with them, it stores the unencrypted content on that temp file and it doesnt even bother to delete it even when you close the archive and re-encrypt it again..

Just write over the entire disk, OS and all. You're not thinking past Windows. I don't think you got the idea, actually. The idea is to write over ALL data, not just whatever files you have. Data meaning the operating system, files that you may have, etc..