chevron_left chevron_right
Login Register invert_colors photo_library

Upgrade your account to hide advertisements.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

filter_list Teen Arrested, Hacked Into School Grading System
Author
Teen Arrested, Hacked Into School Grading System #1
Greetings everyone,

The act of gaining unauthorized access Into a given system alone can have serious consequences, let alone tampering with sensitive data. As per the following article, a 16-year-old did both by compromising a school's system and altering grades.

Quote:A 16-year-old California boy has been suspended from his high school after hacking the grading system. Surveillance video shows the moment armed officers and the secret service broke down the door to David Rotaro's home.

"It was like stealing candy from a baby," Rotaro said. Rotaro says it took just five minutes to create a phishing email which he sent out to school staff. All Rotaro needed was one username and password; he raised and even dropped the grades of 10 to 15 people - but not his own.

Source.
[Image: AD83g1A.png]

RE: Teen Arrested, Hacked Into School Grading System #2
im sure he will be recruited by the government though ... they love people like this ... just, under "their" control. its sad... really.

RE: Teen Arrested, Hacked Into School Grading System #3
(05-16-2018, 03:48 PM)singlehandlogic Wrote: im sure he will be recruited by the government though ... they love people like this ..

There's been quite a few hackers recruited by law enforcement and government agencies.

And then there's those who spend the next couple of decades behind bars.

RE: Teen Arrested, Hacked Into School Grading System #4
Not surprised really. People really need to be aware of these types of things.
Good read though, thanks for sharing!

RE: Teen Arrested, Hacked Into School Grading System #5
(05-16-2018, 09:33 PM)FunkyG Wrote: People really need to be aware of these types of things.

The unfortunate part Is, a lot of organizations tend to take action after the event (being compromised), by which time the data Is already In the hands of the attacker.

RE: Teen Arrested, Hacked Into School Grading System #6
Are you fucking kidding me. I hack the schools systems twice and was able to gain access to students files but, didn't serve a long time but GRADES. His arse should be expelled. The other time is when I opened a software that was built to open network packets and was again, suspended. I might tell this story maybe today of what happened.
(This post was last modified: 05-16-2018, 11:05 PM by Mimiakira.)

RE: Teen Arrested, Hacked Into School Grading System #7
I think it was a dick move to lower some people's grades, but apart from that I think it's cool. Wish I could have helped some friends that were struggling with school back then.