chevron_left chevron_right
Login Register invert_colors photo_library

Stay updated and chat with others! - Join the Discord!

Should I install Linux ?! filter_list
Author
Well. I’ve been a windows user all my life, never seen love or used a Linux system. But recently I’ve been interested in learn coding, hacking, etc and I’ve read that Linux is a better option that win10, which im currently  using. One of the main reasons that I’m thinking in switching is because I have a dual core 1.7 or 1.9 (don’t remember now 🤣) with 2gb of ram (what can I say, I’m a poor guy ahah) and the laptop in extremely slow as u can imagine. So let’s cut the bull***
What I really want to know is
It’s pays off using Linux to hacking?
Does Linux going to run smoother than win?
Should I go all the way down or switch slowly?( I’m a fast learner and a smart guy)
What version is better for hacking?
Can someone provide me a Linux link with the best version to hack(as I asked up there) and how to install, some programs to start with?! Like a starter kick for newbies

Well, I don’t remember anything else I wanted to ask, therefore thanks all in advance and I really hope that this forum isn’t like the other ones that I posted something like this and told me to google it 🤦🏽‍♂️
I’m gonna let here some contacts if anyone is interested in a fast help in private
Email: pedrolpes7@gmail.com
WhatsApp: +5584994673464
Telegram: latnok1

Good hacking for everyone! 🏻‍♂️
“Never underestimate the determination of a kid who is time-rich and cash-poor”

RE: Should I install Linux ?! #2
Quote:Should I install Linux ?!
Try It on a VM and If It's not suited to your expectations, simply delete the VHD.
[Image: AD83g1A.png]

[+] 1 user Likes mothered's post

RE: Should I install Linux ?! #3
If it is hacking you are looking for, Kali is a good choice. However, don't use it as your main OS. Know that you will be using the terminal a lot(similar thing to cmd or powershell in Windows), so you might want to get familiar with it. I agree with Mothered, you should run it as a VM first unless your computer is too slow to run VMs well. VMs take a lot of processing power, so they run slower than if they were actually installed. Its a great idea, but be wary of this. That being said, I don't recommend starting with Kali. Get something like Ubuntu, get familiar with Bash (it is a VERY different animal than cmd or Powershell) and download the tools as you need them. It is better that way, so you don't get overwhelmed with the 500 hacking tools Kali comes with.

Here is what I recommend. Start by learning Bash. Then, once you are familiar with using most of the basic commands, learn Nmap. You need to know a lot about networking, and Nmap will help you during the learning process. After that, start playing with something like Metasploit, and the other various tools hackers can use. Also, if you are serious about hacking, I recommend learning a scripting language such as Lua or Python. In the end, hacking is literally just another section of Computer Science. Do it for the learning!

I have been using Linux for 4 years now, and it has been pretty great.
Let me know if you need help learning Bash! My DMs are open to you Cool
(This post was last modified: 10-13-2019, 04:06 AM by retroplayer.)
[Image: 6b08abb09fbb012f2fe600163e41dd5b]

[+] 2 users Like retroplayer's post

RE: Should I install Linux ?! #4
(10-13-2019, 03:52 AM)retroplayer Wrote: If it is hacking you are looking for, Kali is a good choice. However, don't use it as your main OS. Know that you will be using the terminal a lot(similar thing to cmd or powershell in Windows), so you might want to get familiar with it. I agree with Mothered, you should run it as a VM first unless your computer is too slow to run VMs well. VMs take a lot of processing power, so they run slower than if they were actually installed. Its a great idea, but be wary of this. That being said, I don't recommend starting with Kali. Get something like Ubuntu, get familiar with Bash (it is a VERY different animal than cmd or Powershell) and download the tools as you need them. It is better that way, so you don't get overwhelmed with the 500 hacking tools Kali comes with.

Here is what I recommend. Start by learning Bash. Then, once you are familiar with using most of the basic commands, learn Nmap. You need to know a lot about networking, and Nmap will help you during the learning process. After that, start playing with something like Metasploit, and the other various tools hackers can use. Also, if you are serious about hacking, I recommend learning a scripting language such as Lua or Python. In the end, hacking is literally just another section of Computer Science. Do it for the learning!

I have been using Linux for 4 years now, and it has been pretty great.
Let me know if you need help learning Bash! My DMs are open to you  Cool

Well thanks for the extensive help
Regarding VM as I said my pc is a dual core with 2gb of ram for now, so running a VM will get him to meltdown probably so I will accept you knowledge and start by getting familiar with bash. I’ve read that bash run on windows and it’s the same that have Ubuntu installed(correct me if I’m wrong ) So all gets down to, run bash on windows or start by getting familiar with Ubuntu first ?! And yes, it’s hacking I’m looking for Evil

RE: Should I install Linux ?! #5
(10-13-2019, 04:46 AM)Jokerino Wrote: Regarding VM as I said my pc is a dual core with 2gb of ram for now, so running a VM will get him to meltdown probably

Depending on your computing environment, your system can still run a VM, even with 2 GB of Ram. But that's operating with only the minimum requirements.

Simply stated, If your Host OS (physical machine) can run comfortably with only 1.5 GB of Ram, then 512 MB for the Guest OS (VM) with only the bare essentials will suffice. Multi-tasking though, Is out of the question.
[Image: AD83g1A.png]

RE: Should I install Linux ?! #6
(10-13-2019, 02:53 AM)Jokerino Wrote: It’s pays off using Linux to hacking?
If you ask me it pays off learning linux in general. In doing so you are going to be able to do tasks more efficiently and elegantly. Besides that, you are going to need linux for setting up servers, basic networking, easier support for tools, extensive privacy, etc. I would definitely suggest that you get familiar with bash as said earlier by retroplayer. It might seem tedious at first, but in the end it will pay off.

(10-13-2019, 02:53 AM)Jokerino Wrote: Does Linux going to run smoother than win?
Simply put, yes it consumes a lot less resources than windows

(10-13-2019, 02:53 AM)Jokerino Wrote: Should I go all the way down or switch slowly?( I’m a fast learner and a smart guy)
I suggest that you pick something you want to learn, let's say bash, and really familiarize with it, understanding how it's all put together and then move to another thing.
Don't try to learn all the things at once, because you will most probably get confused and you have a greater chance of quitting.
Note: A good practice would be to think of an applicable project whenever you want to learn something new

(10-13-2019, 02:53 AM)Jokerino Wrote: What version is better for hacking?
As said previously by other members the main 'hacking' linux distro is kali, but I would recommend to not run as your main OS. Instead, make a bootable USB and run kali live. As to what I would recommend using as your main OS, would be Ubuntu since it's quite intuitive for new comers. After you could move to something like Arch, Manjaro, etc.

(10-13-2019, 02:53 AM)Jokerino Wrote: Can someone provide me a Linux link with the best version to hack(as I asked up there) and how to install, some programs to start with?! Like a starter kick for newbies
I would say that before looking into what tools to use, understand what you want to do with these tools.
You want to learn about web application security? Then look at commonly used tools ( BurpSuite, dirbuster, sqlmap, etc )

I wish you good luck in the journey of learning more about computers and how they work. And don't forget that the most important thing is to have fun while you're doing it.
Cheers!
[Image: iQDVDdD.gif]

[+] 1 user Likes Cr3aTor's post

RE: Should I install Linux ?! #7
If you want to test out something like ubuntu it is possible to run that OS and many others straight from a usb stick. That way you can get a small feel for it without having to install it completely.
https://tutorials.ubuntu.com/tutorial/tr...ou-install

[+] 1 user Likes Sikom's post

RE: Should I install Linux ?! #8
Well thank you all for the tips and advices. I will clean up my laptop today and I will test it out and see. Hopefully I will enjoy and gonna be a fast learner. Last night I’ve stayed awake till 4am reading a “what is and how to start UNIX” from linuxtopia.org. Gonna keep reading and I’ll be in touch with some of you in DM if I need some assistance as @retroplayer told

RE: Should I install Linux ?! #9
I'd have a look at some of the lightweight Linux distros, Kali is good but from your computer specs, it's not going to be a fun experience whether you boot from a VM/USB etc - https://www.techradar.com/news/best-ligh...nux-distro

Once you have a lightweight distro, you can just add the hacking software basics, rather than all the bloatware and pointless hacking tools that comes with Kali/Parrot distros. My suggestions for learning the basics would be to familiarize yourself with using the below tools and learning to hack vulnerable machines on Hack The Box.
Nmap (or Zenmap if you like GUI)
Burpsuite
Metasploit
WireShark
HashCat
JohntheRipper
DirBuster

Also, if you're serious about learning to code and hack, you're going to have to sort your RAM situation out pretty soon to be able to run the processes you need to in order to learn. Sorry!

RE: Should I install Linux ?! #10
Absolutely. I was a very long time Windows fanboy but I absolutely love Linux now (minus lack of professional program support and widespread gaming support but that doesn't really seem to be in the scope of your question, just a personal flaw). I use Windows on my gaming machine and Linux Mint on my laptop. It will certainly make your laptop run a whole lot better than it does now considering the specs, as Linux is designed to run on the most minimal hardware possible. If you're also interested in getting into hacking, Linux would be without a doubt the way to go. Not to say it can't be done on Windows (because it absolutely can, I think @mothered does a lot of his security work on Windows), but with Linux you have such a wide array of tools at your disposal.
(This post was last modified: 10-23-2019, 03:51 PM by Nyx.)
Discord: Nyx#8048