chevron_left chevron_right
Login Register invert_colors photo_library
Stay updated and chat with others! - Join the Discord!
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

My computer is becoming autoimmune! filter_list
Author
RE: My computer is becoming autoimmune! #31
(11-19-2014, 04:58 AM)roger_smith Wrote: Symantec/Norton back in 2007 was absolutely terrible. Consistently caused issues with systems, broke things, killed internet connections, and otherwise was a cunt. The Norton Software Removal Tool was a regularly used utility in my gear set. They finally got their shit together in about 2011/2012. The most recent stuff I worked on for a client of mine still seemed ok, but they have the Norton 360 suite and it's far too much. If you go with Norton, stick with the antivirus/antimalware tools, not the Internet Security or 360.

I used the 2007 version, and it detected very few false positives, while picking up on the files that were actually dangerous. Now, though, it picks up on almost nothing, and I have had it detect files that I make myself, mostly text files.
Please do not hate me. I am an insane sadist, I hate humans by default, but I try to be nice. I am new to computers and programming.

Why do you people hate me when all I do is try to help? Just because you do not understand me does not mean you should hate me.

RE: My computer is becoming autoimmune! #32
(11-19-2014, 06:19 PM)ShawnReynolds Wrote: I used the 2007 version, and it detected very few false positives, while picking up on the files that were actually dangerous. Now, though, it picks up on almost nothing, and I have had it detect files that I make myself, mostly text files.

I charged lots of people lots of money to fix the damage Norton 2007 caused. Sounds like you've been lucky with it.
---
Click here to get started with Linux!

If I helped you, please +rep me, apparently we've started over on Rep and I'd like to break 100 again...

Inori Wrote: got clickbaited by roger

RE: My computer is becoming autoimmune! #33
A good AV if you want to torrent it is ESET Nod32, one of the best AV's out there. That coupled with Malwarebytes Anti-malware Premium and a good firewall is basically a locked safe and only you have the key :3

RE: My computer is becoming autoimmune! #34
(11-21-2014, 03:55 AM)Sakamoto Wrote: A good AV if you want to torrent it is ESET Nod32, one of the best AV's out there. That coupled with Malwarebytes Anti-malware Premium and a good firewall is basically a locked safe and only you have the key :3

Mostly true but neither are infallible.
free @pvnk

RE: My computer is becoming autoimmune! #35
AVG is one of the worst Antivirus product there is, never use it again. I'm not even surprised that this happened.
On a serious note, can we have more information ? Your computer specs for example, what you're looking for in an Antivirus product, do you want a free or a paid product, etc.

RE: My computer is becoming autoimmune! #36
(11-24-2014, 08:53 PM)Aura Wrote: AVG is one of the worst Antivirus product there is, never use it again. I'm not even surprised that this happened.
On a serious note, can we have more information ? Your computer specs for example, what you're looking for in an Antivirus product, do you want a free or a paid product, etc.

Yeah, I figured as well ^^

I've solved it for now with a payed Avast and new malware analysis workflows ^^ Thanks, anyways Tongue
[Image: R5aCcWV.png]

RE: My computer is becoming autoimmune! #37
I would advise against paying for any AV.
Source: I've been working in IT for years, and while I have to tell them to use Avast I don't think it does much good.

My strongest recommendation would be the following
1) Download and Run Malwarebytes AntiMalware once a week or so
2) run HitMan pro as a second opinioin
3) turn on windows defender
4) install Comodo Dragon or Ice Dragon and use their DNS
5) in either of the above, make sure you have adblock with the malware filter list to auto-update. limit any and all add-ons you are using and only use them if they are from a trusted source.
6) be careful of what you download, and if you need to download something and you aren't sure of what it is, upload it to virus total before you install/run

AVG / Norton / and the like will slow your system down. They don't have the best detection rates and even those that do can't and won't detect everything all the time.

7) and this one might be the most important, back up your data!

Best of luck.

RE: My computer is becoming autoimmune! #38
(11-19-2014, 04:58 AM)roger_smith Wrote: Symantec/Norton back in 2007 was absolutely terrible. Consistently caused issues with systems, broke things, killed internet connections, and otherwise was a cunt. The Norton Software Removal Tool was a regularly used utility in my gear set. They finally got their shit together in about 2011/2012. The most recent stuff I worked on for a client of mine still seemed ok, but they have the Norton 360 suite and it's far too much. If you go with Norton, stick with the antivirus/antimalware tools, not the Internet Security or 360.

tell me about it. i haven't worked much in the field since 2007/08, but when i did i would say 90 percent of client's problems where caused by these programs killing internet connections on them! but then again i guess 90% of my money came from them doing this to people lol.

to op- sounds like you got the right idea. avg has been known to do this from time to time. lesson learned, those security prompts are dangerous in the early AM!

RE: My computer is becoming autoimmune! #39
(02-19-2015, 05:02 PM)underdog90 Wrote: tell me about it. i haven't worked much in the field since 2007/08, but when i did i would say 90 percent of client's problems where caused by these programs killing internet connections on them! but then again i guess 90% of my money came from them doing this to people lol.

to op- sounds like you got the right idea. avg has been known to do this from time to time. lesson learned, those security prompts are dangerous in the early AM!

Makes your job pretty easy.
[Image: 7ajmN5P.jpg]

Steam: Oni | SL (Add)

RE: My computer is becoming autoimmune! #40
I had so many false positives with AVG, went to BitDefender and never looked back.
1LP9VHjEUimHFtCK7QEMKKQkxikCjUwz6k
[Image: ruc98tr.jpg]

Savings goal: [$4886/$10000]