chevron_left chevron_right
Login Register invert_colors photo_library

Upgrade your account to hide advertisements.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

filter_list Linux laptop
Author
Hi Guys,

I want to buy a Linux laptop, I've looked around and found https://system76.com/laptops/gazelle

Does anyone have one of these, I just want some information before I commit to buying it.

Also this is the only relatively decent priced laptop with good specs I could find but it's from the US are there any recommendation for the UK?

Thanks Cool

RE: Linux laptop #2
Are you after Linux specifically, or will any laptop on the Windows platform suffice?

RE: Linux laptop #3
(08-12-2017, 03:13 PM)mothered Wrote: Are you after Linux specifically, or will any laptop on the Windows platform suffice?

I have yet to find a windows laptop with those specs to close to them that is decently priced. So really any laptop but it must have:

120GB SSD
1TB Drive
16GB DDR4 Ram
1920 x 1080 Res
Backlit Keyboard
and a good CPU

I want to install Arch I3wm or Gentoo (i3wm) on it.

Thanks

RE: Linux laptop #4
If you buy any other laptop with free-dos(Linux installed instead of Windows) you can for cheap than normal price

RE: Linux laptop #5
(08-12-2017, 03:31 PM)WhiteBunny Wrote: I have yet to find a windows laptop with those specs to close to them that is decently priced. So really any laptop but it must have:

120GB SSD
1TB Drive
16GB DDR4 Ram
1920 x 1080 Res
Backlit Keyboard
and a good CPU

I don't know what your definition of "decently priced" Is, but If you shop around and can afford It, have a look at the Acer Predator range.

I have 4 Predator lappies and I've put them through very heavy (GPU, memory, read/write and CPU) Intensive tasks, and they've performed beyond my expectations. This Is one that I own:
Spoiler:
[Image: BLRMfnu.png]

As you can see (below), there's room for expansion with memory, meaning the MOBO can accommodate 64GB of ram so when the time comes I'll do just that.
Spoiler:
[Image: MqoDGP2.png]

EDIT: Added Image.
(This post was last modified: 08-13-2017, 03:19 AM by mothered.)

RE: Linux laptop #6
You can get any laptop as long as you check for network card compatibility and stuff.

Just get a Windows laptop and replace Windows with Arch or whatever. Thinkpads are generally nice.
"The noblest pleasure is the joy of understanding."
- Leonardo da Vinci (supposedly)

[Image: kphlxb.jpg]

[+] 2 users Like Ender's post

RE: Linux laptop #7
(08-13-2017, 03:40 AM)Ender Wrote: You can get any laptop as long as you check for network card compatibility and stuff.

Just get a Windows laptop and replace Windows with Arch or whatever.  Thinkpads are generally nice.

Exactly.