chevron_left chevron_right
Login Register invert_colors photo_library
Stay updated and chat with others! - Join the Discord!
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Home brew UTM filter_list
Author
I was just reading though this article and it got me to thinking that I want to build a home brew UTM

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/other/sec...nse-part-1

For those who don't know, a UTM is a Unified Threat Management device. It sits on the edge of the network and can act as a firewall, AV software, IPS/IDS and more. I want to build one out for my home network to start gathering a baseline on network attacks pointed at me.
---
Click here to get started with Linux!

If I helped you, please +rep me, apparently we've started over on Rep and I'd like to break 100 again...

Inori Wrote: got clickbaited by roger

RE: Home brew UTM #2
Could you keep this thread updated?
Thank you

RE: Home brew UTM #3
Very Interesting.

Just for Informative purposes, In terms of the Firewall, how "effective" Is It's Intrusion detection and prevention? Can rules be defined (such as Incoming & Outgoing) via the Firewall Itself? And with the AV, Is It's detection signature-based, heuristics or otherwise?

I know I'm hitting you with a few questions here, and I suppose until you actually get It up and running, you probably won't know the full scope of It's capabilities and effectiveness.
[Image: AD83g1A.png]

RE: Home brew UTM #4
(12-07-2015, 04:10 AM)mothered Wrote: Very Interesting.

Just for Informative purposes, In terms of the Firewall, how "effective" Is It's Intrusion detection and prevention? Can rules be defined (such as Incoming & Outgoing) via the Firewall Itself? And with the AV, Is It's detection signature-based, heuristics or otherwise?

I know I'm hitting you with a few questions here, and I suppose until you actually get It up and running, you probably won't know the full scope of It's capabilities and effectiveness.

Mostly speculation at this point, but as far as I know you can train the IDS/IPS and create custom rule sets. From what I've read the AV is ClamAV which is mostly signature based afaik.

No problem with the questions, these are important things to consider Wink
---
Click here to get started with Linux!

If I helped you, please +rep me, apparently we've started over on Rep and I'd like to break 100 again...

Inori Wrote: got clickbaited by roger

[+] 1 user Likes roger_smith's post

RE: Home brew UTM #5
(12-07-2015, 04:12 AM)roger_smith Wrote: Mostly speculation at this point, but as far as I know you can train the IDS/IPS and create custom rule sets. From what I've read the AV is ClamAV which is mostly signature based afaik.

No problem with the questions, these are important things to consider Wink

Thanks for your prompt response.

Very much appreciated.
[Image: AD83g1A.png]

[+] 1 user Likes mothered's post