Login Register

[Hobby Section] Experimenting with PETG handguns filter_list
Author
[Hobby Section] Experimenting with PETG handguns #1
So the other day somebody asked me how well I thought some cheap PETG would hold up in a handgun. I had no idea, but what better way to answer than to just do it.

I went about developing a profile that could utilize the inherent adhesion and flexibility of PETG, and at first it looked bad.
Right off the bat, I had 7 failed prints. After tweaking a bunch of things, I got to this point.
Spoiler:
[Image: 2HGrLup.jpg]

That looks terrible (and it only got worse)
Spoiler:
[Image: YJtCcPv.jpg]
but eventually, after some patience and temperature control it started looking better.
Spoiler:
[Image: krHALfO.jpg]

Here's the rest of the in-print images in case you were curious.
Spoiler:
[Image: lDLaUmI.jpg]
[Image: LVQZzWn.jpg]
[Image: iWjWocY.jpg]

30 hours later, and with some negotiating with a hammer, I had a completed gun.
[Image: 8oXxm1t.jpg]
[Image: fyb2qxk.jpg]

So, how did it work in testing. Well, better than I expected.
Not only did the gun not explode, but it handled a full box of +P ammo just fine. The rails though were about 10 degrees out of spec, so it liked to jam up. I did record some video but gave up due to these issues.

I did, however, get a failure.
[Image: NeG7JDe.jpg]

This isn't that terrible, the gun is still shootable, and I can repair that crack, but I chose to just write "NFG" on it, take my $1.87 loss, fix the issues and print another one. It should be done sometime Friday morning.

Conclusions:
Is PETG viable? Absolutely
Is it easy? Fuck no, listen to the instructions and avoid it

RE: [Hobby Section] Experimenting with PETG handguns #2
Crack is a no-go, but for short-term use that kind of failure might be reasonable. How much did the printer setup cost?
[Image: 7ajmN5P.jpg]

Discord: Oni#3781
XMPP: oniaraara@xmpp.jp
Telegram: oni_sl (Add)
Steam: Oni (Add)

RE: [Hobby Section] Experimenting with PETG handguns #3
(01-21-2021, 02:05 AM)Oni Wrote: Crack is a no-go, but for short-term use that kind of failure might be reasonable. How much did the printer setup cost?

The crack was expected. I took advantage of the lack of cost and may have been a little too generous with the hammer. A crack already existed in one location before assembly was complete simply because I drilled the hole in the wrong spot and used a large hammer to force the pin in. I will make another thread with my v2 experimentation.

The printer itself was dirt cheap, printer + all of the upgrades done to it was about $300

RE: [Hobby Section] Experimenting with PETG handguns #4
(01-21-2021, 02:07 AM)phyrrus9 Wrote: The printer itself was dirt cheap, printer + all of the upgrades done to it was about $300

Things have come a long way since the Liberator.

RE: [Hobby Section] Experimenting with PETG handguns #5
(01-21-2021, 02:12 AM)Oni Wrote:
(01-21-2021, 02:07 AM)phyrrus9 Wrote: The printer itself was dirt cheap, printer + all of the upgrades done to it was about $300

The liberator had a specific purpose: no metal parts. It was never designed to last, it was designed to scare the people pushing gun control.

Printed guns today still have metal where metal needs to be.

RE: [Hobby Section] Experimenting with PETG handguns #6
(01-21-2021, 02:14 AM)phyrrus9 Wrote:
(01-21-2021, 02:12 AM)Oni Wrote:

It was never designed to last

I meant more so in terms of printer cost and availability of resources, things have improved. A gun that cracks is only a bit more viable than a Liberator, depending on circumstance.

RE: [Hobby Section] Experimenting with PETG handguns #7
(01-21-2021, 02:22 AM)Oni Wrote:
(01-21-2021, 02:14 AM)phyrrus9 Wrote:
(01-21-2021, 02:12 AM)Oni Wrote: Things have come a long way since the Liberator.

It was never designed to last

I meant more so in terms of printer cost and availability of resources, things have improved. A gun that cracks is only a bit more viable than a Liberator, depending on circumstance.

Yeah printer cost has come down a lot, but the reality is you don't need anything special to make a functioning gun. An off the shelf $150 ender 3 will do it, just won't be the best prints.

[+] 1 user Likes phyrrus9's post

RE: [Hobby Section] Experimenting with PETG handguns #8
I am planning on doing this before it becomes illegal from biden but with a polymer 80 instead
(This post was last modified: 01-22-2021, 02:35 PM by Brendaddy.)
By any means necessary I will get paid

RE: [Hobby Section] Experimenting with PETG handguns #9
(01-22-2021, 02:35 PM)Brendaddy Wrote: I am planning on doing this before it becomes illegal from biden but with a polymer 80 instead

That particular lower is a polymer80-spec lower. Just happened to be the parts kit I had on hand, so I went with that.