chevron_left chevron_right
Login Register invert_colors photo_library

Stay updated and chat with others! - Join the Discord!

Gold What can you do after your Windows 7 service ends? filter_list
Author
What can you do after your Windows 7 service ends? #1
Hello,members!
What can you do after your Windows 7 service ends?
If the service is terminated, there will be no security update.
What are you going to do to prevent exploit?

RE: What can you do after your Windows 7 service ends? #2
(09-24-2019, 03:17 AM)gogreendv Wrote: What are you going to do to prevent exploit?

Change OS or Update to the latest version.
[Image: dHJ4Beo.gif]
Hidden Lesson: Reactions are always instinctive whereas responses are always well thought of.

RE: What can you do after your Windows 7 service ends? #3
(09-24-2019, 03:53 AM)OversouL Wrote:
(09-24-2019, 03:17 AM)gogreendv Wrote: What are you going to do to prevent exploit?

If you still need to use windows 7.
What do you do?

RE: What can you do after your Windows 7 service ends? #4
(09-24-2019, 06:25 AM)gogreendv Wrote:
(09-24-2019, 03:53 AM)OversouL Wrote:

What do you do?

Use other software that helps secure your machine.
[Image: dHJ4Beo.gif]
Hidden Lesson: Reactions are always instinctive whereas responses are always well thought of.

RE: What can you do after your Windows 7 service ends? #5
(09-24-2019, 07:39 AM)OversouL Wrote:
(09-24-2019, 06:25 AM)gogreendv Wrote:
(09-24-2019, 03:53 AM)OversouL Wrote: Change OS or Update to the latest version.
What do you do?

Use other software that helps secure your machine.
Okay,Okay, That's good idea.
But that may not be a good way.

RE: What can you do after your Windows 7 service ends? #6
This is the same problem as with Windows XP ( even though a lot of companies/governments are still using it )
Therefore, at some point there will be no need to work on such old system and it will only be there for legacy reasons or to bring back nostalgia for people who've been using it a long time ago.

However, this upcoming transition period will be quite interesting because I'm more than sure that not a lot of companies are going to migrate to windows 10. Thus, they're going to be even more vulnerable. But I don't think that's something new.
All we can do is to raise awareness and show multiple times how vulnerable their systems are, until they decide to put in place good security policies
[Image: iQDVDdD.gif]

RE: What can you do after your Windows 7 service ends? #7
Quote:If the service is terminated, there will be no security update.
There's no need to perform Windows Updates to secure your system. Manual configurations and patches are easily applied.

I haven't hit a Windows Update for over 12 years (and never will), and my PCs are running without any security Issues whatsoever.
[Image: AD83g1A.png]

RE: What can you do after your Windows 7 service ends? #8
The POS system still uses XP or Windows 7.
How do you secure these things?

RE: What can you do after your Windows 7 service ends? #9
(09-25-2019, 02:13 AM)gogreendv Wrote: The POS system still uses XP or Windows 7.
How do you secure these things?
Block everything to do with M$ on your firewall. Cease it to allow updates of any sort (take care of those yourself with 3rd party applications) in settings, find a 3rd party app that disables completely the Windows 10 upgrade, and after you're done with all that: The firewall blocks you put in at stage one will stop your computer being able to contact M$ servers for the update. Kind of hard to install a new OS or update an old one without the new one to download and install.

RE: What can you do after your Windows 7 service ends? #10
(10-03-2019, 04:45 AM)Kludge Wrote: Cease it to allow updates of any sort (take care of those yourself with 3rd party applications)

I couldn't have said It better myself.

I've been configuring my very own security Implementations for over a decade without performing a single Windows Update, and my systems are still running at their optimal state.
[Image: AD83g1A.png]