chevron_left chevron_right
Login Register invert_colors photo_library

Stay updated and chat with others! - Join the Discord!
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Failed HDD. Trying to pull some files off firefox filter_list
Author
Failed HDD. Trying to pull some files off firefox #1
So last week my HDD in my laptop basically died. It was rather sudden and there weren't any initial indicators otherwise I wouldn't be in this predicament lol. Basically I installed a windows update, went to bed, woke up and was blue screened. Figured it was the update, but after a ton of test (and my HDD is suddenly clicking when loading from restart) it's definitely my HDD. I kept semi-regular backups so after getting a new HDD, I was able to get most of my important files off.

My main issue now lies in pulling off my adblock list and saved passwords from firefox (most important), along with a few other larger files (200G+). I never set up an account with FF so I can't just migrate it over. I can continue plugging/unplugging my old HDD in a usb conversion piece I bought to eventually get it to work. When it finally connects long enough to actually view the files, I can go to the C:/FF folder, but neither my ABP or Saved PW files are available to transfer/copy over. Keep in mind the HDD will usually disconnect/fail after 1-3mins once connected, and my working time literally decreases every time I plug the damn thing in.

So, obvious answer is boot from the old HDD and be as quick as I can to save/send/setup FF account for what I need over, which is my plan. But does anyone have advice on what might help it from crashing as soon as it normally does? Booting from my old HDD takes much longer and literally fails 9/10 times rather than just plugging it in from the USB and viewing the contents (which is also a pain and fails quickly). I just feel like my window to actually pull data off is closing, and if I don't operate correctly it will be too late to get everything I want. The plan is to create a FF account and assume I will save my adblock and PW files (Can someone verify?). But then I have these large files that don't have the time to transfer before the HDD fails.

Any help/ideas on how to get everything I need off my old HDD before it's too late would be greatly appreciated. I'm pretty good with PCs, but more software than hardware. I just don't want to try unnecessary shit if I don't have to because this thing's like shot shot lol.

Worse comes to worse, I have everything irreplaceable already covered. This is more saving me the trouble of re-downloading huge files (if I can find them) and not having to go through and change almost every PW for every non-financial website I've ever sign up with.
(This post was last modified: 05-28-2019, 11:45 AM by FreightTrain.)

RE: Failed HDD. Trying to pull some files off firefox #2
Can you clone the HDD to a virtual drive in Windows for a one-off massive VDI and plug it into a VM's storage space secondarily, allowing full access to the virtual disk image?
>Screw it.
$10 a week for Paper Writing Tutoring
$50 and 5 days for a completely original paper on your chosen topic.
$5 for 1-page resume, spelled correctly and grammatical.

[+] 1 user Likes Kludge's post

RE: Failed HDD. Trying to pull some files off firefox #3
(08-07-2019, 02:01 PM)Kludge Wrote: Can you clone the HDD to a virtual drive in Windows for a one-off massive VDI and plug it into a VM's storage space secondarily, allowing full access to the virtual disk image?

I could have used you a couple months ago lol. That's essentially what I ended up doing. I found a program called macrium reflect that I used to clone the HDD and booted it in a VM. There was probably an easier way, but the program itself made it simple enough and it was free so it worked out in the end.

[+] 1 user Likes FreightTrain's post

RE: Failed HDD. Trying to pull some files off firefox #4
(08-07-2019, 09:14 PM)FreightTrain Wrote:
(08-07-2019, 02:01 PM)Kludge Wrote: Can you clone the HDD to a virtual drive in Windows for a one-off massive VDI and plug it into a VM's storage space secondarily, allowing full access to the virtual disk image?

I could have used you a couple months ago lol. That's essentially what I ended up doing. I found a program called macrium reflect that I used to clone the HDD and booted it in a VM. There was probably an easier way, but the program itself made it simple enough and it was free so it worked out in the end.
Great minds, eh?
>Screw it.
$10 a week for Paper Writing Tutoring
$50 and 5 days for a completely original paper on your chosen topic.
$5 for 1-page resume, spelled correctly and grammatical.

RE: Failed HDD. Trying to pull some files off firefox #5
(05-28-2019, 11:13 AM)FreightTrain Wrote: Basically I installed a windows update, went to bed, woke up and was blue screened.

Hence one of many reasons I do not perform Windows updates, and never will.

I cannot afford to lose critical data due to an update that's not needed to begin with.
[Image: AD83g1A.png]