chevron_left chevron_right
Login Register invert_colors photo_library

Stay updated and chat with others! - Join the Discord!
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Can't login to some webpages with VPN filter_list
Author
As the title states, I have recently discovered some websites, including Sinister.ly, will not allow me to login when using my VPN.

Stupid question: why?

Kinda beats the point eh? If you want security or privacy, just don't use these sites? is that really the way the world is going?

Can anyone explain the basics of how login works and why vpns may disallow one from connecting or logging in? If I use facebook or Google and have my vpn on, it will either lock my account or ask for my phone number.

RE: Can't login to some webpages with VPN #2
I'm always behind a VPN, and have yet to experience Issues.

What VPN are you using? Is It still the case when connecting via different servers?
[Image: AD83g1A.png]

[+] 1 user Likes mothered's post

RE: Can't login to some webpages with VPN #3
Firefox has an add on vpn: Touch VPN. I have tested this on dnsleaktest and it hasnt given away my location or country of origin and its free. I didnt change the DNS in my network settings manually. Google, youtube, Sinister.ly all do this to me. I have to shut it off before I can login. Was just curious.

If I set up proxychains thru TOR it does the same thing. Always extra information and 2fa needed to authorize login. That or It strictly prohibits me from loggin in, which in Sinister's case, if I use Tor or a proxy it says I am banned. I assure you I myself have never been banned from this or any forum for that matter. Excluding Eve Online haha.

If I understand correctly, vpn can still leak dns info and Im wondering - because my dns is NOT leaked when vpn is active, if that is why I still cannot login. Touch is not TOR but still prevents dns leaking at least from this basic approach and that of dnsleaktest.com basic test.

RE: Can't login to some webpages with VPN #4
Simply use ExpressVPN or NordVPN. You will not have any Issues whatsoever.

Thread moved from The Lounge forum to Anonymity.

[+] 1 user Likes mothered's post

RE: Can't login to some webpages with VPN #5
On the facebook part. You get locked out of your account because, you logged in a different IP. This will disappear though when you have proven account ownership and added the IP you currently use to the trusted list. It only comes back when you have a different IP everytime you turn on your VPN.
[Image: dHJ4Beo.gif]
Hidden Lesson: Reactions are always instinctive whereas responses are always well thought of.

[+] 1 user Likes OversouL's post

RE: Can't login to some webpages with VPN #6
Every website will have its own reasons and its own methods. Some just block public leaked proxies (those ip's get blacklisted and connection will be dropped once you try to connect with it).
Some go beyond that and check for more information like headers/user-agent information.

Like Oversoul said, Facebook and bigger sites use it as a security measure, that you have to confirm you are logging in from a new IP address. If your credentials are leaked and you login from a new IP, you usually have to prove you have email/phone access.

I personally use Mullvad and haven't had any problems with most sites, but yes some sites will always ask you to enter your credentials again once you log in from a new IP.
[Image: 5u8rTPk.jpg]
Click image to go to my website, it has been updated!

[+] 1 user Likes Bish0pQ's post

RE: Can't login to some webpages with VPN #7
I really appreciate all the info. As you are aware, Im rather green and learning the basics is where I will be for a long while. I will do some reading up on what you all mentioned here to learn more. I will try out Nord and Express as recommended. Smile
(This post was last modified: 08-02-2019, 05:16 AM by natifix.)

RE: Can't login to some webpages with VPN #8
(08-02-2019, 05:15 AM)natifix Wrote: I really appreciate all the info. As you are aware, Im rather green and learning the basics is where I will be for a long while. I will do some reading up on what you all mentioned here to learn more. I will try out Nord and Express as recommended. Smile

I understand, and In terms of your learning process, appreciate your standpoint.

ZenMate Is another VPN well worth considering. In fact, you can run NordVPN & ZenMate together without compatibility Issues as per my example below.
Spoiler:
[Image: sEd1qXa.png]

[+] 2 users Like mothered's post