chevron_left chevron_right
Login Register invert_colors photo_library

Stay updated and chat with others! - Join the Discord!

Arch Linux Is Easy filter_list
Author
I just wanted to write this short thread to encourage you to use Arch Linux. I'm sure there are a lot more pros than what I can think of right now.

Around two weeks ago I started using Arch Linux. It took a lot of distro hopping to find the right fit for me, but it was worth the wait. And I found that using it was not that difficult, at all. The hardest part was the installation, but only due to my slow internet, and a simple error I made.

It feels a lot like making your own OS. There is so much room for customization. And couple this with all of the desktop environments and window managers, there a dozens of possible combinations. The downside to all of this is the amount of time it takes to customize. Don't be surprised if it takes a week to find something you like. If you have a bit more experience than me you could probably customize a lot quicker.

That's all I wanted to write. Not forcing anybody to switch to Arch, I'm just giving my two-cents.
(This post was last modified: 03-26-2020, 09:27 PM by Drako.)
[Image: tumblr_n4fsswcwZa1sbhzgao1_250.gif]

"Crack it open, throw it in a pan and let it cook." ~ Filthy Frank

RE: Arch Linux Is Easy #2
That sounds awesome!

I might consider switching from windows.

RE: Arch Linux Is Easy #3
Quote:The hardest part was the installation, but only due to my slow internet, and a simple error I made.
Aside from the latter, Is the Installation process smooth?

I'm thinking of Installing It on my VM.
[Image: AD83g1A.png]

RE: Arch Linux Is Easy #4
(03-27-2020, 03:00 AM)mothered Wrote:
Quote:The hardest part was the installation, but only due to my slow internet, and a simple error I made.

I used this video

The video is a little outdated though. A lot of base essential packages have been ripped from the base package. The base package doesn't even include a kernel anymore. But there is a lot of useful info in the comment section to fix that.

And yes it's quite smooth. It can be run from a 16GB drive, but I wouldn't recommend it. I'm currently running my install from a 16GB USB, and I can't do much. I'll probably end up backing everything up and installing to a 32GB USB, or just buy a small SSD.

If you're wondering about my internet speed, it wasn't necessarily my own fault. I was using very slow mirrors to download from. Arch has a website that generates a list of the most optimized connections based on your input.

[+] 1 user Likes Drako's post

RE: Arch Linux Is Easy #5
(03-27-2020, 08:51 PM)Drako Wrote:
(03-27-2020, 03:00 AM)mothered Wrote:

I used this video

The video is a little outdated though. A lot of base essential packages have been ripped from the base package. The base package doesn't even include a kernel anymore. But there is a lot of useful info in the comment section to fix that.

And yes it's quite smooth. It can be run from a 16GB drive, but I wouldn't recommend it. I'm currently running my install from a 16GB USB, and I can't do much. I'll probably end up backing everything up and installing to a 32GB USB, or just buy a small SSD.

If you're wondering about my internet speed, it wasn't necessarily my own fault. I was using very slow mirrors to download from. Arch has a website that generates a list of the most optimized connections based on your input.

It may be somewhat outdated, but the video Is very well presented and extremely easy to follow.

I've skipped through It quickly, and can't see any Issues with the Installation process. Thanks for providing your In depth feedback and personal experience. It's helped a lot.
[Image: AD83g1A.png]

RE: Arch Linux Is Easy #6
(03-28-2020, 03:18 AM)mothered Wrote:
(03-27-2020, 08:51 PM)Drako Wrote:
(03-27-2020, 03:00 AM)mothered Wrote: Aside from the latter, Is the Installation process smooth?

I used this video

It may be somewhat outdated, but the video Is very well presented and extremely easy to follow.

I've skipped through It quickly, and can't see any Issues with the Installation process. Thanks for providing your In depth feedback and personal experience. It's helped a lot.

It's not actually outdated. The video is only a year old. And when providing technical feedback I just give the most info I can. I usually get a lot of errors, and I don't want people to make the same stupid ones I did.

[+] 1 user Likes Drako's post

RE: Arch Linux Is Easy #7
Getting into Arch is a terrific way to get into learning more about how - as a whole - UNIX systems operate.

For those interested, I highly recommend having a look at this guy's YouTube channel: 'lukesmithxyz'
Additionally, he has a Github profile (github.com/LukeSmithxyz) where he uploads all of his configurations etc.
This project (github.com/LukeSmithxyz/LARBS) of his is made specifically for new Arch users getting into the whole idea of configuring your environments. It essentially sets up a window manager, installs a bunch of [essential?] applications and deploys the config files available in his 'voidrice' (dotfiles) repository on his Github profile. This may at first glance seem counter-productive to new users trying to learn more. He is aware that people may think that and highly encourages in many places that those using his scripts play around with them and read them thoroughly themselves.

1:i tried to hyperlink the urls but i was accused of trying to spam Sad((
2:i can't even post the url links themselves....... sry
(This post was last modified: 3 hours ago by tranquil.)
1ucy@xmpp.is