chevron_left chevron_right
Login Register invert_colors photo_library

Upgrade your account to hide advertisements.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

filter_list Android APK's how to check if they are safe?
Author
Android APK's how to check if they are safe? #1
Simple question. I'm kind of a noob when it comes to this stuff, but I dont know which apk files would be considered safe, and how to differentiate the dangerous ones from the safe ones. Or if there is even anything like a dangerous / safe apk.

Saying this because some of the files I have seen have come from extremely shady sites that have millions of pop-up ads, and just not a safe vibe. I'm just checking with you guys, since you know a lot more than I would.
Who Knows?

RE: Android APK's how to check if they are safe? #2
Android packages that might be (malicious) in nature will often ask for you to allow Device Administrator and you're an idiot if you allow an unknown package to be admin.

Now I'll just wait for the rest of the forum to agree with my post and circlejerk it to death.

Sleepy Sleepy Sleepy

[+] 3 users Like pvnk's post

RE: Android APK's how to check if they are safe? #3
(01-03-2017, 07:51 PM)pvnk Wrote: Android packages that might be (malicious) in nature will often ask for you to allow Device Administrator and you're an idiot if you allow an unknown package to be admin.

Now I'll just wait for the rest of the forum to agree with my post and circlejerk it to death.

Sleepy Sleepy Sleepy

Not always, as I have seen several pieces which use a workaround to obtain device control without alert. However, as much as I hate to say it, you are for the most part right. (But fake one-click roots will still mess you up)
You can find me on Keybase
"Reach the state of ubiquity, and you will be in control"
Student, Technician, Designer, and more.
[Image: 8y6vps.png]

RE: Android APK's how to check if they are safe? #4
(01-03-2017, 08:21 PM)zorrophreak Wrote:
(01-03-2017, 07:51 PM)pvnk Wrote: Android packages that might be (malicious) in nature will often ask for you to allow Device Administrator and you're an idiot if you allow an unknown package to be admin.

Sleepy  Sleepy  Sleepy

Not always, as I have seen several pieces which use a workaround to obtain device control without alert. However, as much as I hate to say it, you are for the most part right. (But fake one-click roots will still mess you up)
No wonder I said often. Sarcasm Sarcasm Sarcasm

RE: Android APK's how to check if they are safe? #5
(01-03-2017, 08:32 PM)pvnk Wrote:
(01-03-2017, 08:21 PM)zorrophreak Wrote:

Sleepy  Sleepy  Sleepy

No wonder I said often. Sarcasm Sarcasm Sarcasm

Obviously, just specifying cases why they may not prompt. (Also I didn't read you post clearly, the only thing keeping me awake was Modafinil)
You can find me on Keybase
"Reach the state of ubiquity, and you will be in control"
Student, Technician, Designer, and more.
[Image: 8y6vps.png]

RE: Android APK's how to check if they are safe? #6
1. Use common sense...
2. AV?
"The noblest pleasure is the joy of understanding."
- Leonardo da Vinci (supposedly)

[Image: kphlxb.jpg]

RE: Android APK's how to check if they are safe? #7
(01-03-2017, 07:31 PM)Zenith Wrote: because some of the files I have seen have come from extremely shady sites that have millions of pop-up ads, and just not a safe vibe.

You've answered your own question right here.

I'll state the obvious and suggest "not" to deal with unbeknown sites. There's always an element of risk, but It can be significantly reduced when going via a trusted (even third-party) source.